Running a SWG and heater with a 2 speed pump

Steve Bee

Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2018
Ontario Canada
Being the noob I am and not researching enough before buying, I took what the pool retailer suggested for a pump. My pump has 4 built in settings for the 2 speeds:

1. 24 hr Hi
2. 18hr HI, 6hr Low
3. 12 Hi, 12 Low
4. 6 Hi, 18 Low

They probably love this pump, because I bought it in QC where electricity is much cheaper than Ontario. In fact, they looked at me funny when I wanted a Natural Gas heater instead of electric. That's how big of a difference there is in electricity rates. A lot of homes heat with electric, whereas in Ontario we heat with NG. So they all heat their pools with electric.

So that being said, do I have to run my pump 24/7 because of the heater? My heater will "shut down" if there is no water pressure, so I don't think there is a safety risk, but don't want the heater going into a service mode unnecessarily, or does the heater only care about water pressure as opposed to water flow? I can't imagine it would be good for the water to heat while not being pumped?

If it is feasible, I am going to likely get an external timer to run the pump, because I probably only need a few hours to exchange and 18hrs on even low seems probably excessive in terms of energy use and production of FC.

I just run my NG heater when needed not 24/7. I don't know if this answers your question but usually the pump needs to run on High while heater is on. Heaters have a flow switch and if not enough flow they will turn off. You might can run it on low depending on the flow but it will heat better on high speed. For instance my automation panel automatically turns pump to high when heater is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.