Run or not to run spa when not in use?

Dec 16, 2017
Charlotte, NC
New pool owner question.

My pool has a spa in the corner, with a small spillover, I'm not sure if I should run the spa drain/return always or only when in use? If I run it always, there will be constant spillover and my pH is high (which I think the spillover might contribute to). If I don't run it, won't that spa water become dirty/not filtered?

Of course when it gets below freezing I assume I want to open it so there is no freezing in the spa pipes, correct?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Jeff,

If your pool has an automation system, then just scheduling your spa spillover to run a couple of times a days works best.

If you are manually having to move valves to switch between the Pool mode and Spa mode, then doing that on a daily basis is a real pain. With a manual system, the best bet is to adjust the valves so that your spa just barely spills over, causing the least amount of aeration as possible.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jeff,

How did you measure 9.2? That is higher than most test kits go?????

What test kit are you using?

While it may be that high, I would be suspicious of the reading...

Also... depending on your FC reading, your pH may be invalid...

What we normally do is report all of our test results, so that we can make some intelligent decisions on what they all mean together as they are somewhat interrelated... We generally report as follows..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp
Salt readings (If a saltwater pool)..

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is not possible to test pH to that level. 8.2 is typically the highest you can test with most pool kits.

Only add acid to drop from 8.2 to 7.4 then retest after circulating for an hour or so.

Yes. My Taylor kit was about as pink as it could be. I borrowed an electronic tester and that have the 9.2, so could be innacurate. For sure in the 8s regardless.

FC looks good... started very low (almost none a few weeks ago after the pool was filled but now stable between 2 and 3).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.