Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello all! Really appreciate the amazing kindness and skill found here. Thanks for past help.

We are changing our RS Aqualink system from a single speed Whisperflo to Intelliflo VS pump. I'm trying to figure out how this will work with the Aquapure SWG, also controlled by the RS Aqualink panel.

What I think I know:
  1. The pump 220vac and the Aquapure are both currently switched by the pump relay.
  2. The VS pump wiring needs to be changed to not switched.
  3. The pump's RS-485 needs to be connected.
  4. The SWG has a 40 gpm min flow rate. (Just installed a flow meter to help VS setup and it's showing 105gpm. Yikes!)
  5. It's not a good idea to rely on the SWG's flow sensor for daily control.
What I think I don't know:
  1. Do I leave the SWG connected through the relay? I suppose yes, but not sure.
  2. For a pump schedule that includes times with < 40 gpm, how does the SWG get turned off in that period?
One other thing is that it appears there's at least one unused controlled circuit in the panel. Maybe that's helpful?

But of course.... "It's what you don't know that you don't know that will kill you." Any advice will be appreciated.

What I think I know:
  1. The pump 220vac and the Aquapure are both currently switched by the pump relay.
  2. The VS pump wiring needs to be changed to not switched.
  3. The pump's RS-485 needs to be connected.
  4. The SWG has a 40 gpm min flow rate. (Just installed a flow meter to help VS setup and it's showing 105gpm. Yikes!)
  5. It's not a good idea to rely on the SWG's flow sensor for daily control.

All correct except the IntelliFlo flow switch will close at less then 40 GPM. I don't know exactly flow what since I don;t have a flowmeter gadget but it will generate down around 1200 RPM.

Do I leave the SWG connected through the relay? I suppose yes, but not sure.

Yes, the filter/pump relay will close when the IntelliFlo is running.

For a pump schedule that includes times with < 40 gpm, how does the SWG get turned off in that period?

I think you will find the SWG will be on anytime the pump is on.

Thanks! I'm reading this to say I won't be able to have a pump schedule that includes periods of flow less than 40 gpm.

Unless maybe I wire the SWG through a separate relay with its own schedule to turn on only when the pump is running at high flow.

Thanks! I'm reading this to say I won't be able to have a pump schedule that includes periods of flow less than 40 gpm.

I think the 40 gpm is incorrect and the flow switch will work with a lot less flow then that.

Unless maybe I wire the SWG through a separate relay with its own schedule to turn on only when the pump is running at high flow.

I still don't understand what you are trying to do.

I think the 40 gpm is incorrect and the flow switch will work with a lot less flow then that.

I still don't understand what you are trying to do.
Sorry I'm not clear. The VS pump allows operation way below 40 gpm. From what you said, the SWG will have power whenever the pump is on. If I schedule the pump to run at say 20 gpm at night, the SWG have power, but it's flow sensor will turn it off. That will happen every night. I've read that the flow sensor is not intended for daily on/off like this. It's a safety device that should not be used to control the SWG's normal operation. So what I'm suggesting here is that I could use another relay to turn off the SWG during the night or whenever I have the pump operating at low flow.

The other option is to avoid pump schedules with flow rates under 40 gpm.

Of course if the 40 gpm info I saw is wrong, then we're all good. I guess I'll hook it up and give it a try.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

I think your SWG will run at 20 GPM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.