RS-485 and Digital Inputs Cable Wiring Type and Size

Mar 30, 2010
Orlando, FL
Please let me know the type (pair/unpair, twisted/untwisted, shield/unshield, high/low voltage) and size (16, 18, 20, 22 or 24 AWG) of cable wiring that I need to purchase to connect RS-485 and digital inputs from variable speed pump to automation controller. Thanks for your help.

What pump are you trying to connect via RS-485 to what automation system?

Use a length of cat5 cable if you have it. 18-24 awg wire, shielding or twist doesn’t matter. It is a low speed protocol and not sensitive to cabling.

Last edited:
Please let me know the type (pair/unpair, twisted/untwisted, shield/unshield, high/low voltage) and size (16, 18, 20, 22 or 24 AWG) of cable wiring that I need to purchase to connect RS-485 and digital inputs from variable speed pump to automation controller. Thanks for your help.
You can buy a real rs-485 cable (it is shielded):

Or you can get away with a Cat5/6 network cable (using only one pair for D+/D-). Its impedance is slightly lower than that of rs-485, but at a couple hundred feet it may not matter.

Not sure what connectors are used, though, on both ends. Screw terminals ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.