Rough and Discolored Pool Plaster - Why and how to fix?

You are not posting your test results to PoolMath so it is hard to know what is going on.

What has been your FC consumption? How much FC is being lost between chlorine additions?

@zea3 I've definitely been dealing with high PH throughout the winter. It was about 8.1 before starting the slam (and before I lowered it to 7.4) but the week before it was purple so I have no idea how high it was.

@ajw22 I'm not sure how to post my test results to Poolmath but I'll run a full battery of tests soon including FC consumption from today... just finished a movie with the kids and some friends so It'll be a little later.

Thanks.

@ajw22 I'm not sure how to post my test results to Poolmath but I'll run a full battery of tests soon including FC consumption from today... just finished a movie with the kids and some friends so It'll be a little later.

Thanks.

Your PoolMath logs is linked to your profile.

Press the + New Log on the bottom of the screen and log your test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When was the last time you tested CYA? It does not go to zero easily without a full drain and refill.
That's a good point... and I'm aware of it and a bit suspect... hope I don't have some kind of crazy leak somewhere. I'm pretty sure I tested it a few months ago and it was 40 (maybe a hair over so I know you're supposed to round up to 50 which is what I was using for my SLAM). Not sure how it's 0. Can the chems to test it go bad? I just tested it twice cause I couldn't believe it the first time.

Last time I put conditioner in was at least a year to a year and a half ago.

Anyways, just raided the wife's stocking drawer and put 2 lbs in the skimmer and 5 lbs hanging from a pole in front of a return.

Last edited:
To go from 40 or 50 a few months ago to 0 now is either a very large leak (which I would think you would see on your water bill) or ammonia.
The CYA reagent does not go bad unless it has been frozen.

Your pool will not hold FC at all if you have ammonia. I suspect if you had any, it is long gone now as you have been adding chlorine.

FC is at 14 this morning and probably about half the CYA is dissolved. I'll keep squeezing and I'm sure it will all be gone by mid afternoon.

Stain is still the same unfortunately.

I suppose I won't add any cl for now but wait til CYA is fully dissolved to test levels... unless FC drops below 12 during the day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.