Rookie SWG question

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So My pool has just been installed, and salt added a couple days ago.. SWG is running at 60% (IC40, 15,500 gallon pool). and Chlorine output seems fine.
My question is this... If I produce X amount of chlorine per day, with zero usage of the pool (auto cover on) will the SWG just keep on cranking, and over the course of a few days without use end up with X +5 or whatever?
Or is there a point at which it stops?

This summer, being out first with the pool will be 2 days no action , 1 day 30 kids, 2 days no action, 1 day 4 people.
Obviously I may need to supplement with chlorine on those huge days, but im just kind of wondering if the low days will overshoot my FC range.
thanks

You are correct. The SWG will keep generating X PPM of CL until you turn it down. With your cover closed you will lose very little FC and need little generated.

I think you will find you need to open the cover often to let the UV rays burn off your CCs. Otherwise the pool will develop that chlorine smell from the CCs.

I think thats a fine idea... My only concern is that maintaining it with sporadic use seems harder than I had hoped... Maybe im overthinking it and maybe setting it at 40% or even 20% (ic 40 for 15,500 gal) will just keep it in a good range... I just fear overshooting it if we dont use the pool for a few days

You have automation that can have different SWG settings for cover open and cover closed?

Hawk,

The SWCG is dumb as a rock.. it will just do what you tell it. It has no brain, and that means you have to be the brains of the operation and tell it what to do... Running a little hot on your FC is fine, but if you leave the cover closed for seveal days, the FC will go through the roof..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hawk,

The SWCG is dumb as a rock.. it will just do what you tell it. It has no brain, and that means you have to be the brains of the operation and tell it what to do... Running a little hot on your FC is fine, but if you leave the cover closed for seveal days, the FC will go through the roof..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'll second that. We kept our solar cover on probably 20 hours through April and early May, and when I initially got the SWG running, it was at 10%. 2-3 weeks ago, we just left the cover off permanently because day/night temps are high enough for us to easily maintain warm water, and I had to bump CYA up from 50 to 70 and increase my Intellichlor output from 10% to 40%. Now it is running a little high (FC is 10 ppm), and Im going to go back down to 20%.

Since we have a pool store nearby, I keep 1-2 jugs (5 gal) of liquid chlorine (about $23 a jug) to adjust, especially for parties / kids visiting as liquid chlorine works faster. Now, this thread got me thinking whether this approach "financially sound" (vs. turning up SWG cell to generate more chlorine, while recognizing the cell life is around 580 lb). Of course, I would still keep them for opening / closing and SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.