Rookie pool owner--update with test kit #s

Funny you should mention that--as we left the cover off last might to see if it made a difference. There was still growth-especially down the seem in he middle of the pool and around small creases in liner. I'll be giving it a super good scrub today in those places...

Sent with Tapatalk

SLAMing for 3wks - algae STILL grows!

MOD edit: Please keep all you posts about this issue in the same thread. Thanks...moderator linen

I've been SLAMing my pool for about 3 weeks and we're still getting consistent growth (not getting better nor is it really getting worse). Losing about 2 FC overnight. I've been SLAMing at 18FC level (CYA is at 40)-- should I up it even more? We're vacuuming, brushing, running filter non stop and everyday we see the same thing every night. SO tired of this!! I live in Maine--so the pool season is quickly dwindling.

Re: SLAMing for 3wks - algae STILL grows!

I could refill-but we're are totally at the end of our season here--so much that my pool doesn't even see temps above 68 (BRRR! Too cold for me--not for the kids). We've disinfected all that stuff --some by tossing in the pool while at high FC levels--some by tossing in bucket of bleach solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
linen said:
What is your most recent OCLT and CC levels? Is the "growth you are seeing just on the bottom?

OCLT--losing 2-3FC (18 at night--morning is usually 15-16) CC is .5. The growth is only at the bottom with an occasional maybe 2 or 3 specs of green floating on top

Kellie00 said:
Sorry--didn't realize we couldn't post specific issues on diff. threads.
Knowing you history is important to helping with a solution. I would try what jbliz suggested. And make sure you brush often...if you have the intex cartrige filter pump, most of them do not move much water, so dead zones are common.

jblizzle said:
Looks like the same issue/topic to me as well.

I would try raising the FC a little higher. Mustard shock level is 24ppm, so keep it below that and see if that helps.

So below 24--how much should I aim for? I'm at 17.5FC and and 0 CC. I haven't put anything in it since last night--and there was still growth.

Also! Another question! Right now the vacuum we have sucks..or well...doesn't suck enough, I guess. It's what came w/ our Summer Escapes pool. It hooks up to garden hose and just uses a little bag tied onto the vacuum part--not attached to our filter or anything. We've searched around and can't find anything reasonable ($$) but I've seen youtube videos with them but can't find one with HOW to do it. Does anyone have any pointers to get a good makeshift vacuum to get us through the rest of our season (few weeks)? We have extra hose, extra shop upholstery heads...

Kellie00 said:
Does anyone have any pointers to get a good makeshift vacuum to get us through the rest of our season (few weeks)? We have extra hose, extra shop upholstery heads...
I bought 18' of 1 1/4" pool hose from the pool store. It is plenty long enough for my 15' pool. I just unscrew the strainer grid on the inside of the pool (the part that sucks the water from the pool into the filter) and stick one end of the hose into that fitting. The other end of the hose I stick into the vacuum head that came with the pool. I secure it with Velcro. I don't use that filter bag and I block up the extra hole on the vacuum head. I guess you could use something else if you have upholstery heads. That's all there is to it - vacuum away!

We passed the OCLT last night! FINALLY! So, now where do I stand--should I put the SWG back on today or wait until the FC goes down? I haven't checked the pH since we started this whole process. I should wait until the FC comes down, correct?

Go ahead and get the SWG working. It may take a couple days to dial in the percentage and run time required to get the required output. Plan on adding LC ( liquid chlorine) until the SWG is making enough FC. How's your CYA?

CYA is at 30 (we drained a bit of water the other day). Since we have a SWG should I up the CYA to 60? FC is 13.5, CC 0, pH 7.2, Alkalinity 60. FC was at 12 yesterday and we put ran the SWG for 4hrs last night. Since our FC is still pretty high should we only do 2hrs of the SWG?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.