Rookie pool owner--update with test kit #s

If it were me... I would say use the old bathing suits and swim. Kids and swimming are why we do this. You are likely to need to add water and CL after the kids are done playing, so, you did some first. You are only a little above.

Just my two cents...

Thanks for the extra input--I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't harm anyone. The pool is WAY full--splashing over a bit even, so it would be great if the kids could splash out some of the water! ha!

How about another question for you guys (are you sick of this yet?) We just checked the FC and it's at 16.5 (CYA of 40-tested yesterday). This is still at shock level, correct? Tonight will be the second night I haven't added anything. The water is a little cloudy after swimming today--I feel like I should add some bleach.

Anything above 15 is shock level. What type of filter do you have? If you a sand filter, you can add some DE to speed up the clearing. Although I am guessing, based on the size of your pool, it is an Intex. If you have the Intex cartridge filter, I hear Unicel and Filbur filters are much better for clearing a pool.

We are still getting the algae at the bottom of the pool every morning--pretty much the same everyday (looks great after vacuuming then we cover pool and start over again. Should I up my SLAM FC level (it was at 17 last night--haven't checked yet today) in case this is mustard algae? Should I somehow bleach my pool cover? I did toss in the pool toys and floats in the other day (while it was at shock level) but I haven't done anything with the cover.

The algae looks like dirt looking down at it--isn't super greenish or anything if that matters at all.

I am going to guess that you may simply have dead algae at the base of the pool. If it collects each night, it sound like it is simply falling to the floor and collecting into "algae bunnies" and your filter cartridge is not fine enough to filter it out. When the kids get in, they are stirred into the water and then they collect again overnight.

Two questions:
1. Are your using Intex brand cartridges?
2. Are you losing FC overnight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They aren't intex brand--I think they were Heritage? brand from Walmart.
I added bleach last night since it had dipped below the shock level (was 14) I added enough to bring it to 18 (calculated by the pool calculator). I just checked and we are at 18.5 FC. When I added the R0003 to check CC it BARELY turned pink--super faint pink. Do I count that is a .5 since it was a drop to turn it back--it was such a faint color wasn't sure if it was still counted clear in the first place. I'll check FC in the morning to see how much we are really losing.

Am I correct , that I don't need to really be checking anything else right now? The pH isn't reliable during a SLAM, right?

OK, check you FC level after the sun is off the pool and again tomorrow morning before it's on the pool to see if you lost any overnight. If you do not lose any overnight, you do not have an algae bloom. If you do lose more than 1 CC FC overnight, you have algae/organics in the pool.

As to your filter, I hear Unicell and other make filters than are MUCH more effective. Get two and swap them. When you take out a dirty filter, put the clean one in the filter and clean the dirty one, dry it and have it ready to go when you do the next swap.

Lost 1.5 FC last night (was 18.5 now 17) so we still have something growing in there. This is crazy-it's taking forever to clear up! We're vacuuming, scrubbing the walls and floor on pool and SLAMing it. I'm checking into finding a Unicell filter....

I believe my local LPS has the Unicells on the shelf as they also sell AG sack pools (like Intex) They should be about $8 but i would pay $10 for one on the shelf and save shipping. Call around.

I think the A-Type is called the C-4607

images

If you get two, you can always have one clean and ready to swap in when the other is dirty. You can just swap clean and dirty until you pool is clear. When the dirty one gets removed, you can clean it with a hose and have it ready to swap back in.

Don't know about cartridge type filter, but my neighbor adds a bit of cellulose fiber media to his sand filter and raves about how fast it clears he water. Just enough to raise the pressure one pound. I know I get much better results using cellulose fiber in my DE filter.

Still losing FC overnight. Should I be SLAMing this at a higher level? Been keeping FC around 17-18. Just checked it now and it's 15 with more crud on the bottom. I'm not sure how it can be dead algae because even it gets vacuumed and is clear as can be and the next morning we are starting all over again. Something's not working, because we've been doing this since the 20th and the amount is pretty consistent every day--not getting any better but not getting worse. Haven't gotten the new filters yet....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.