WestOrangeJF

Jul 11, 2022
west orange, nj
Hey y'all - second summer with my pool, was finally getting into the swing of things, had to have a pretty decent amount of cement work done a couple of months ago and a lot of the dust got into the pool...

In retrospect I should have put the filter on waste but had it just set to filter... took a while and a lot of backwashing. Then a few weeks ago the pump went out finally after making noise for most of the summer. I suspect the concrete had something to do with it. I opened the pump and found a decent chunk of what had turned to a rock basically which I think was stopping the impeller I just got to it too late.

Anyway, not sure if this is the right place to post this question so forgive me but I just got a quote for around $2500 to have a Jandy Flopro VS Pump installed. I eventually want to do automation but for now just want to get the pool up and running for the rest of the summer.

From what I can find it looks like the pump is maybe ~$1500, another $1k seems like a lot for installation since it should really just be hooking up to my existing piping and rewiring for now. Should I just do it myself?

Also up until I got this quote I was going to go with a Hayward VS pump since everything else I have is Hayward but I'm not tied to the brand if the Jandy system gets me where I need to be, just trying to think longer terms as well.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Hey y'all - second summer with my pool, was finally getting into the swing of things, had to have a pretty decent amount of cement work done a couple of months ago and a lot of the dust got into the pool...

In retrospect I should have put the filter on waste but had it just set to filter... took a while and a lot of backwashing. Then a few weeks ago the pump went out finally after making noise for most of the summer. I suspect the concrete had something to do with it. I opened the pump and found a decent chunk of what had turned to a rock basically which I think was stopping the impeller I just got to it too late.

Anyway, not sure if this is the right place to post this question so forgive me but I just got a quote for around $2500 to have a Jandy Flopro VS Pump installed. I eventually want to do automation but for now just want to get the pool up and running for the rest of the summer.

From what I can find it looks like the pump is maybe ~$1500, another $1k seems like a lot for installation since it should really just be hooking up to my existing piping and rewiring for now. Should I just do it myself?

Also up until I got this quote I was going to go with a Hayward VS pump since everything else I have is Hayward but I'm not tied to the brand if the Jandy system gets me where I need to be, just trying to think longer terms as well.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
That does sound high for installation as it is fairly straight forward but may require adjusting the plumbing because you will have a different pump. When I had mine installed over a year ago, I was only charged $200 for labor. However times have changed with inflation.

It is fairly straight forward to put in but If you want to maintain the extended warranty you need a “pool professional” to install it.

Also, check to see if there are any rebates from your electric company and seller. Down in Texas, the local pool store has a current sale with combination of electric company rebate and in store credit of $575 off a VS pump.

If you plan to have an automation system in future, I would highly recommend that you research what you want as not all pumps work with different automation systems. A Jandy pump may only work with a Jandy automation system. For example, I have a Jandy automation and it only talks to the Jandy pump and to the Pentair IntelliFlo pump (no others).
Also, more important, if you think you will have a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG) in the future then you should have that system as the same mfg. As the automation. Ideally you want your automation system to be able to communicate with your VS pump and the SWCG

Best to do your research now to ensure you are getting the right equipment for the long term.