Roofers caused an issue for me...

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I had a roof replaced and they weren’t being careful when tossing the old material down and it fell on to my solid tarp pool cover. That included nails and shingles... I noticed water was pooling on the top and then I saw there were two dime sized holes and and one half dollar sized hole.
I need to replace the cover.

Last edited:
Leaving it uncovered isn't a problem. Covered or not, pools freeze. The cover is there to help keep debris out.

Having nails sitting on your liner and rusting is a bigger concern. They're not going to replace your liner over a stain. I would get the cover off and get any nails out ASAP. Don't worry about who "should" pay for it, just take five minutes and fish it out with a magnet on a string (safest) or leaf rake (be careful not to push into the liner).

The vinyl doesn't know the difference yes cover or no cover. The main thing is do not disturb the ice once it forms on the pool surface as it can be sharp and cut the vinyl. If you have a robot let it work the pool floor.

Reactions: Leebo
You can patch the holes in your cover using wide tarp tape or duct tape on both sides. I patched holes in my cover from rodents and it has lasted years. See the grey patches below...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.