Roofers caused an issue for me...

horseradish1

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I had a roof replaced and they weren’t being careful when tossing the old material down and it fell on to my solid tarp pool cover. That included nails and shingles... I noticed water was pooling on the top and then I saw there were two dime sized holes and and one half dollar sized hole.
I need to replace the cover.

Last edited:

CrystalRiver

Jun 19, 2020
Massachusetts
Leaving it uncovered isn't a problem. Covered or not, pools freeze. The cover is there to help keep debris out.

Having nails sitting on your liner and rusting is a bigger concern. They're not going to replace your liner over a stain. I would get the cover off and get any nails out ASAP. Don't worry about who "should" pay for it, just take five minutes and fish it out with a magnet on a string (safest) or leaf rake (be careful not to push into the liner).

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
They use a magnet to get them out of flower beds etc..Maybe they can use it to get any nails out of the water? Might be better then running over then with a vacuum.

horseradish1

Oct 27, 2011
Dallas, texas
I don’t even know if there are any down there, my main concern at this point is taking a pool cover off if there is freezing weather and if that would be bad for the vinyl liner

wireform

Silver Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
The vinyl doesn't know the difference yes cover or no cover. The main thing is do not disturb the ice once it forms on the pool surface as it can be sharp and cut the vinyl. If you have a robot let it work the pool floor.

Reactions: Leebo

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
You can patch the holes in your cover using wide tarp tape or duct tape on both sides. I patched holes in my cover from rodents and it has lasted years. See the grey patches below...

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.