patrickphimr

May 24, 2022
United kingdom
I noticed on Saturday evening I had damage to the ceiling in the living room from a possible leak on the roof, my living-room is directly underneath the pitched roof, which was part of an extension that was built in the 1980s.

I have owned the property for almost 3.5 years.

I have had two roofers out since Saturday, I had a look in the attic, but as it is quite shallow (pitched roof), I cant get across to inspect the area where I think the issue could be up close, but looking from the access point in the attic with the torch I couldnt see anything

The first said good news as the lead flashing, where the extension meets the old victorian property looks solid, no issues. He said that some of the tiles and felt needed replaced, that he could do a section for GBP 600.

I went up on the roof with him, and obviously the tiles are old, and I could see one that was cracked and some others had slippage. the area in the livingroom where there appears to be an issue I imagine would have had a fireplace originally, as its where they chimney stack is. Again the roofer said he couldnt see any issues from what he could see as the chimney stack on the roof didnt look wet or compromised.

The second roofer, initial words were, "roofs not in great shape", then said he could tidy up a section and replace 50 tiles where needed BUT couldnt guarantee it would take care of the problem as he can only do that if doing the full roof.

I went up with both of the workman, and didnt mention the other quote.

I have a 3rd roofer coming out.

I'm just concerned as I cant figure out what may have caused the issue.

I have money to get the roof fixed, what do you think would be the best path to take ...

any advice welcome.

The damage is at the side of the livingroom, where the cornice is ... this is the same location where the pitched roof on the extension meets the old property.

When I went up on the roof, the gutters were fine, the roofer did mention some slippage, and i could see a cracked tile which is roughly above the area in the livingroom I think.

I noticed on Saturday evening I had damage to the ceiling in the living room from a possible leak on the roof, my living-room is directly underneath the pitched roof, which was part of an extension that was built in the 1980s.

I have owned the property for almost 3.5 years.

I have had two roofers out since Saturday, I had a look in the attic, but as it is quite shallow (pitched roof), I cant get across to inspect the area where I think the issue could be up close, but looking from the access point in the attic with the torch I couldnt see anything

The first said good news as the lead flashing, where the extension meets the old victorian property looks solid, no issues. He said that some of the tiles and felt needed replaced, that he could do a section for GBP 600.

I went up on the roof with him, and obviously the tiles are old, and I could see one that was cracked and some others had slippage. the area in the livingroom where there appears to be an issue I imagine would have had a fireplace originally, as its where they chimney stack is. Again the roofer said he couldnt see any issues from what he could see as the chimney stack on the roof didnt look wet or compromised.

The second roofer, initial words were, "roofs not in great shape", then said he could tidy up a section and replace 50 tiles where needed BUT couldnt guarantee it would take care of the problem as he can only do that if doing the full roof.

I went up with both of the workman, and didnt mention the other quote.

I have a 3rd roofer coming out.
i found this compnay really helpful check it out https://www.goldentreeroofing.com/springfield-va.php
I'm just concerned as I cant figure out what may have caused the issue.

I have money to get the roof fixed, what do you think would be the best path to take ...

any advice welcome.

The damage is at the side of the livingroom, where the cornice is ... this is the same location where the pitched roof on the extension meets the old property.

When I went up on the roof, the gutters were fine, the roofer did mention some slippage, and i could see a cracked tile which is roughly above the area in the livingroom I think.
thanks in advance for any help

Post pics of your "tile" roof so we can understand exactly what type you have. There are many different roofing materials called tile roofs.

We recently had a discussion about roofs and I posted pics of my tile roof and repairs...

roof35-jpg.480940

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.