Robots- any alternatives to dragging the cord across decking?

I think this is that post:
Yes , I think so although I recall more pics. Maybe the same pool? Just an update post? Either way i’m sure it’s doable. At least Until we get to bots that garage & cleanse themselves 🤣

I've got a corresponding build thread going in Under Construction where I mention this but probably more important to call it out here- we're finally getting closer on finishing the pool- check the foreground on this pic.

Power supply will be on the wall on the right, line will go down and thru the PVC, and up and out of a specialty box (looks like a smaller, round skimmer basket with a corresponding lid that we might drill a larger hole out of the lid such that the connector at the box can be pulled all the way thru for removal). And then up and over just a short length of decking. I'm talking to the PB about routing a channel into the deck+coping so that the cord is flush.

poolsteel5_polaris.jpg

I've got a corresponding build thread going in Under Construction where I mention this but probably more important to call it out here- we're finally getting closer on finishing the pool- check the foreground on this pic.

Power supply will be on the wall on the right, line will go down and thru the PVC, and up and out of a specialty box (looks like a smaller, round skimmer basket with a corresponding lid that we might drill a larger hole out of the lid such that the connector at the box can be pulled all the way thru for removal). And then up and over just a short length of decking. I'm talking to the PB about routing a channel into the deck+coping so that the cord is flush.

View attachment 390481
Clearly a best practice for those in the construction phase and plan to use a robot. Thanks for sharing.

One suggestion - you may want to have a little slack in your "basket" such you can move (shorten or lengthen) the cord so there is not one section that is constantly rubbed or bent over the coping. Maybe find a grommet at hardware store that fits over the cord and can be positioned in the lid. Good Luck.

Reactions: Mdragger88

I would be surprised if an electrical box in a pool deck within 5 feet of the water meet electrical closes.

Are you in an area of Texas with no inspections or building codes?

It does not need meet the NEC.

We'll definitely get inspected- but, to be sure, it's a single uninterrupted length of cord that runs thru, so it's not a traditional box in the sense that there's any connections/junctions/receptacles/anything else. The box is there just for looks, as an alternative to just having a cord running and coming up thru dirt.

Maybe I don’t understand what you described. Where will the plug and outlet be located?

Plug and outlet are on the wall to the right. Well, specifically, the power supply plugs into the wall, and then a cord runs out from the power supply. Power supply is on the wall to the right, and then a single length of uninterrupted cord runs from that power supply on the wall, down into the pvc pipe, thru the pipe, back up over ground at the left side of the pipe, and to the robot in the pool. There just happens to be a plastic box at where the cord exits the pipe on the left and comes back above ground. "Box" is probably the wrong term. It's just a a plastic shell with a lid, like an empty irrigation valve box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now we're ~2 weeks out from plaster; there's a crack in the coping so PB's stone folks are coming out soon to repair that and route out the channel for the cord. Anyone know what diameter that cord is? Called in to Maytronics to ask and ended up submitting the question to them online. Actually, might just run to the PB's storefront (or really any other pool supply shop) to see if anyone's got one out. Better question really is, how deep should the channel be/how should it be shaped? I'm thinking slightly wider than the cord, and 1/2" deeper- maybe I could find something suitable to shove in on top to keep it in position.

That is exactly like mine at 60 feet, but the swivel is about 1.75 inches across.. Mine got sent in so I can not measure.. :)

You want to be sure you have enough cable in the pool that the robot can reach everything - also maybe add some sort of cushion where it comes out of the channel? As that may become a stress point.

(apologies was in the middle of moving and wasn't checking in for a bit)- dragger- thanks for the pics! Maytronics support got back to me and told me it was .55" in diameter (so a little larger than what you've got). I'm thinking bed the whole thing in silicone so it not only stays put, but has a little flex to it 9and I just need to make sure there's a silicone buffer between the cord and the stone). Should be done in the next week or so.

Reactions: Mdragger88
So it took forever for my M600 to show up, and then had to wait a bit to get the coping cut. Here it is! I wasn't there to supervise so the channel is a drop narrower than I had hoped for (was planning on filling in the sides and top with silicone) so now it just "fits" without any snag/pressure at all- but no gaps on the side. Thinking I'm going to dremel out the last inch wider to get some silicone in there on the sides as well to allow for tugging to either side (though the way the pool is laid out, the only tugging will be in the winter when it's cold and the cord is a much stiffer. Yes I leave it in all winter though in the new house might not need to). Also a view from the other side (still need to find a permanent spot for the box and of course re-cover landscaping).

Matt3.jpg

channel2.jpg

channel3.jpg

channel4.jpg

channel1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.