Robotic pool cleaner

High Marie,

Here's what I'd offer:
  • Get one with automation mode in case you want it to run without you having to reset it every week.
  • Call Marina Pool and Spa as one of your quotes. They have great information in addition to great price. Be persistent if you need to be, their pretty busy but it's worth it.
  • Clean the filters ever 7-10 days. Even though the box may not have much in it the filter can be full of small particles that will inhibit flow and performance.
  • I wouldn't mess with the ones that offer blue tooth control. Just seems to me it would be easier to just drag it into position plus the replacement cord for BT control is a lot more expensive.
I hope this helps!

Chris

Last edited:
Completely agree with @Jimrahbe. I purchased a Pentair Warrior SE from Marina Pool & Spa
that had an issue with one of it's brushes upon delivery. Marina (Seth) provided great customer
service and a new part was sent immediately. Add COVID & the Texas Mega-Freeze with a
small (but awesome) company and, yes, it may take a bit to get service, but they are great
to work with!

I called them and left two messages for call back in June. Didn't get a call back, I assume they are really busy.

I ended up going to Leslie's and getting the Polaris 965iq+. The 3 years of warranty and local store doing the repairs was appealing to me.

I have a small independent pool store that I prefer but they don't carry robots in stock and all repairs are mail in, something I did not want to pay for.

Everyones decisions will be different this is how I made mine. I'm very happy with my purchase btw.

Reactions: BowserB
PB,

That is Total Bull Feathers.. From the positive inputs I have read here, plus my own personal interactions with them. I know you did not get the results you were looking for, but most people have.. including me.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Believe what you want, but after 15+ voice mails and more emails over the past 2 years I can tell you the services is lacking. I have documented dates from the time of original purchase. First repair for broken track, rear brush and climbing rings was $200+ for a unit that was in the pool for less than 3 weeks, Marina's response was call Maytronics. Read the comments in the past year, the are the same lack of response...

Reactions: pmahosky
Read the comments in the past year, the are the same lack of response
PB, I can’t undo your experience and I’m sorry that it went how it did, but you are the exception and not the rule. I just had a friend get a robot from them that died quickly and not only did they replace it but they upgraded it for free as that model was out of stock a couple weeks later.

He reported exactly what we see more often than not. Real hard to get upfront but he was very happy when he did reach them. He was then understandably pretty upset that the robot broke and went right to emails for repair, which were answered quickly with great results. He’s bragging about them again like most do.

People ‘fall through the cracks’ with any product. Having multiple failures is even rarer, statistically speaking. But everybody else being happy does ZERO to help them or their mindset. Your story sucks. No two ways about it. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chiming in with my recent experience shopping and selecting a robot (note I'm OCD about research and overanalyze everything, often far more than is beneficial).
There are so many equivalent models our there with labels for the various avenues to purchase them - the Maytronics website actually does a decent job of showing you which ones are similar.
Set your price range for the features you feel are absolutely necessary; in my opinion simple is best for these machines. At the least, you'll want the appropriate cord length for your pool size and that eliminates some choices.
Determine how soon you need it - the industry is short on supply so if you need it in the next week or two, focus on dealers that actually have the models in stock. Several websites will allow you to place an order, and they'll charge your credit card, without having the unit in stock. Then they'll send an email stating the unit is on backorder and they'll ship it whenever they come in. That doesn't fly for me.
Check local as well as online sources, and review the available manufacturer rebates to ensure the best price comparison.
I didn't have luck with Marina. Left several voicemails and emailed twice. I got a response that they would email me an invoice to complete the purchase but I still haven't received it. I understand they have a good rep here, and the industry is a mess right now. But, I'm not working that hard to be someone's customer. And, every industry is facing hardships these days so if customer service is where they relax to keep things working then they aren't going to get my business. No hard feelings and I'm glad they've serviced this community well.
My choice ended up being a Pentair 920 from a local poolstore chain called Litehouse. It was in stock; it was $30 more than any online price but also came with a $100 rebate. Now, it's still in the package so much remains to be seen in performance but for a $1,000 toy/tool I feel pretty good with the outcome so far.

Marie, like in so many specialty areas, you ask ten people how to do something and you get nine answers plus a "don't do that." There is always a convenience and service tradeoff for price when you consider local vs online/phone. You just read positive and negative reviews of Marina Pool & Spa. Clearly someone who bought from them and never had a warranty repair, is happy. They got a good price, free shipping, and in many or most cases also saved sales tax. (Shhh.) They bought a reliable product, and they're happy. Something as big and heavy as a robotic pool cleaner can be a bit expensive to ship, though, so someone who got a lemon or just had a statistical failure is going to be less happy. OTOH, I can think of many times when I've been really mad at a local store for bad customer service.

Similarly, ask about leaving a robot in the pool vs run the cleaner and take it out, you'll get people who feel strongly one way or another. Personally, I will not take a plastic, rubber, and metal $1,100 machine with an electric motor and nylon gears--and leave it soaking in salty chlorine water exposed to UV-A and UV-B all day long for days and days at a time. I look down at my Maytronics M500 (bought from Marina, by the way, for $300 less than a local dealer quoted...too late, but that's another story), and I don't see a thing on that machine that would be considered UV-resistant, much less chlorine and salt resistant.

So I run a 3.5 hour cycle "bottom and sides", once a week unless we have a big windstorm. At the end of the cycle I take it out of the pool, empty the baskets, and thoroughly rinse inside and out including the low voltage cable and especially the swivel connection, with fresh soft water. I let it dry on the caddy, then cover with a chair cover to protect from the sun, even though its stored on a covered patio. Will this excessive care make it last ten years? I don't know, but I'm not going to test the alternative. Attention to maintenance and storage never hurts.

Reactions: Newdude
Will this excessive care make it last ten years? I don't know, but I'm not going to test the alternative. Attention to maintenance and storage never hurts.
When I saw how much my pool equipment cost, it got taken apart and stored in the house for the winter. I cared not that it *could* last in a snow drift for a couple months. Nope. We are getting every LAST day of longevity out of it. :ROFLMAO:

I will do the same with my new stuffs at the new house.

I have had robots for several years... Two of them are at rent houses where they stay in the pool 24/7 unless the renter takes them out. The third one is at my house where it get used about twice a week, on average, and then sits in the shade under the roof overhang. I originally had "used" Dolphin Diagnostics and then a Premier, and now three S200 style robots..

It does not seem to matter if they are left in the pool or not.. They all seem to last about the same length of time.. About 5 to 7 years in my case.. The S200's are less than two years old, so time will tell..

Thanks,

Jim R.

So I run a 3.5 hour cycle "bottom and sides", once a week unless we have a big windstorm. At the end of the cycle I take it out of the pool, empty the baskets, and thoroughly rinse inside and out including the low voltage cable and especially the swivel connection, with fresh soft water. I let it dry on the caddy, then cover with a chair cover to protect from the sun, even though its stored on a covered patio. Will this excessive care make it last ten years? I don't know, but I'm not going to test the alternative. Attention to maintenance and storage never hurts.
My 1st M600 I did the same taking it out, rinsing etc. All the failures were water intrusion (8+ times). The replacement M600 sits in the pool 24/7 except when we have company. Could the failures be caused by temperature changes from removing the robot everyday, maybe, but the new one's is going on 3 months without a failure...

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for taking your time in helping me out. At the end I decided to purchase the Dolphin S 400 from the Marina store. However, I have called the local store to make sure I can take it there for a possible repair. I had previously the DX5 S and and have had a difficult time to find someone in the area for repair. Thanks again!!!

Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all of you for taking your time in helping me out. At the end I decided to purchase the Dolphin S 400 from the Marina store. However, I have called the local store to make sure I can take it there for a possible repair. I had previously the DX5 S and and have had a difficult time to find someone in the area for repair. Thanks again!!!
Holo,

Thanks for the follow up! It's always nice to find out what the outcome was. I hope this works well for many years!

Chris

Chiming in with my recent experience shopping and selecting a robot (note I'm OCD about research and overanalyze everything, often far more than is beneficial).
There are so many equivalent models our there with labels for the various avenues to purchase them - the Maytronics website actually does a decent job of showing you which ones are similar.
Set your price range for the features you feel are absolutely necessary; in my opinion simple is best for these machines. At the least, you'll want the appropriate cord length for your pool size and that eliminates some choices.
Determine how soon you need it - the industry is short on supply so if you need it in the next week or two, focus on dealers that actually have the models in stock. Several websites will allow you to place an order, and they'll charge your credit card, without having the unit in stock. Then they'll send an email stating the unit is on backorder and they'll ship it whenever they come in. That doesn't fly for me.
Check local as well as online sources, and review the available manufacturer rebates to ensure the best price comparison.
I didn't have luck with Marina. Left several voicemails and emailed twice. I got a response that they would email me an invoice to complete the purchase but I still haven't received it. I understand they have a good rep here, and the industry is a mess right now. But, I'm not working that hard to be someone's customer. And, every industry is facing hardships these days so if customer service is where they relax to keep things working then they aren't going to get my business. No hard feelings and I'm glad they've serviced this community well.
My choice ended up being a Pentair 920 from a local poolstore chain called Litehouse. It was in stock; it was $30 more than any online price but also came with a $100 rebate. Now, it's still in the package so much remains to be seen in performance but for a $1,000 toy/tool I feel pretty good with the outcome so far.
In your research, did you determine what the Dolpin equivalent of the 920 is?

In your research, did you determine what the Dolpin equivalent of the 920 is?
Here is what I found from another website:
  • Pentair Prowler 920 = Dolphin Active 20 = Dolphin S200 = Dolphin Cayman = Dolphin Nautilus (2017 and Later) = Dolphin Proteus DX3 = Doheny's Saturn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.