Robotic Pool Cleaner getting stuck on main drains

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
Hello,

I have a smart pool scrubber nc74 cleaner. When I first got it. It would get off the drain in 30 seconds or so. Now it constantly is stuck, it works fine otherwise and I recently replaced the track and brushes and yet it still gets stuck. What is the best option to stop this? Its a small pool so the cleaner isn't getting anything done as its always stuck on the drain.

I looked at those but people reported they didn't work well for robots.

I been looking at the polaris 4wd robots as the reviews and videos show they don't get stuck. The aquavit breeze 4wd looks like it doesn't get stuck either

So the main drain clip person got back to me. Said 2 clips per drain, although I'm debating if one per drain would work as the cleaner doesn't have bottom openings and is fairly light. Still at 15 a clip, plus shipping, thats 70 dollars for clips that last 2 or 3 years. If it works its a stop gap till this cleaner dies although the cord isn't in great shape (my fault) and I"m not replacing the cord on the cleaner.

I guess its just frustrating that there are the Aquabot 4wd cleaners and the polaris 4wd cleaners that can actually handle a main drain? And i guess the Dolphin cleaners with the bottom 3rd brush that I think aren't even current anymore? Maybe the S series from Dolphin although I can't tell if those are current. Some people said those will use the water thrusters to get off the drain, others say it doesn't work. Its not like these main drains just popped up recently.

Rob,

Most robot owners do not have problems with their robots, getting hung up on the main drain. It really matters how the plaster is around the drain and the specific drain cover. I have three Dolphin cleaners.. the one at my house never hangs up on the main drain, the one at my daughter's house never hangs up on the main drain, and the one at a rent house hangs up once in a while but only when the tracks are really worn down.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell until you stick the machine in the pool...

And keep in mind.. the more clearance there is the less dirt it will pick up.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I am happy to report the polaris p955 I just picked up has no issue with the main drains
I am happy to report the polaris p955 I just picked up has no issue with the main drains

I didn't want to spend $60- $70 and find out it didn't work, so I made my own. I used the plastic bucket that holds 50 lbs. of chlorine tabs. I cut the top 4-5 inches off and poured sakcrete into the bottom for weight, about 4-5 inches. Before it dries, drill to holes through bottom for a rope handle. I drilled 4 one inches holes through side of bucket to let water in. Made a hook for the pool extension rod to help place it over the main drain. Turn off all suction except the main drain. The bucket doesn't budge when the cleaner runs into it. I have never had the cleaner hang up again. Cost me nothing. I take it out of pool when done cleaning.

Attachments

• IMG_0731 1.jpeg
    IMG_0731 1.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0732 1.jpeg
    IMG_0732 1.jpeg
    114.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0730 1.jpeg
    IMG_0730 1.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: Tbone2087

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI, the "Main drain Clips did NOT solve my problem. I used 2 just as he recommended but actually made it worse. My pool floor around the drain is raised somewhat and the Zodiac mat thing is the only cure for me so far. My first one lasted about 7 years and I changed it out. it was still intact just rubber deterioration. Main drain clips did NOT respond to my request for a refund.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.