Robot Vacuums - So Many Questions!

The energy savings with a robot are significant. My Warrior SE uses 85W (one penny per hour) and runs a two hour cleaning cycle three times a week. My yearly electric cost to operate the robot is just over $3.

The robot cleans exceptionally well and scrubs the walls and waterline tile. I'm amazed with its cleaning performance.

The biggest issue is longevity and reliability. I've been using the robot for almost two years and haven't had problems yet (fingers crossed).

I have a Dolphin/Maytronics Proteus DX4 and, for me, it checks the box towards having a trouble free pool. I have it set to run a 2 hour cycle every day and I only remove it to clean it or when we swim... or untangle the cord. lol
We have 20+ year old oak trees on each end of our pool so between the trees, squirrels and birds there is something in the pool every day either on the pool floor or floating that needs to be cleaned out. Having just had our pool resurfaced in an Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen finish, the last thing that I want is anything sitting on the pool floor long enough to leave a stain. Granted, organic stains would "bleach out" over time, it's still uncomfortable given the cost of the new finish.
One thing that I have found surprising is the amount of dirt/dust that is blown into the pool, especially when a storm passes through. Pool floor doesn't look dirty, but then running the robot and checking the filters is somewhat surprising. Not sure if the OP has issues with blowing dust/dust storms there in Las Vegas.
As for ownership costs, in the almost 4 years of robot ownership I have replaced the tracks and the front (larger) wheels due to wear. (knock on wood) As I mentioned, I run it seven days a week year round, so probably accelerated wear and tear in my case.
Ultimately, for me, it comes down to the time and effort that the robot saves me - sure I still have to brush the steps, bench and glass waterline tiles, but it takes care of the floor and walls and saves me from having to brush and manually vacuuming the floor. In my situation, I know that at a moments notice if we decide to use the pool, I know that there's no prep, from a surface cleaning standpoint, that I need to do before we jump in.
Value is relative to each person, so as the saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Hope that this helps in some way, or another.

You analysis is definitely reasonable and within the ballpark. One minor issue that you did not factor in but doesn’t really skew the cost-benefit analysis much is that there are consumables on a robot, namely the rubber tracks and rubber sweep seals on the bottom. They last approximately 2 years before they OUGHT to be replaced (many people don’t replace them and live with the diminished performance). Tracks run about $100 to replace and the sweep seals are like $20. Assuming the filter basket panels go the distance (I had to change mine at the 4 year mark for an additional $100), your analysis is as close as it gets.
Tread wear is related to the pool surface and a pebble finish wears down the treads faster than a smooth plaster or fiberglass surface so factor that. My treads are still in great shape but I too have replaced my fine filter panels after several seasons as the pleats began to distend. My experience with the bot remains positive.

Other than those who don't use or want robots, what is the general consensus on which to go with?

My friend just bought a Dolphin E20 ( https://www.amazon.com/DOLPHIN-Expl...cphy=9004009&hvtargid=pla-1362157991504&psc=1 ) and swears by it. Said it made his life 10x easier with 3 kids under 3 and not having to vacuum.
I can't imagine needing, or wanting, more in a robot than what my Warrior SE (S200 variant) had to offer. My pool is 20x40 @ 30,000 gallons. It's surrounded by Leland Cypress trees and two Crepe Myrtles, which put debris in the pool year round. After a storm Xena REALLY had her work cut out for her.

It's a large pool with consistent exposure to a lot of debris. I programmed it to run daily and it kept up great. It scrubs as it cleans, it's automatic, and it's the cheapest bot on the market (that I know of) rated to service a pool of my size. It has no frills but it just worked.

Now it doesn't though. 😒

I was absolutely thrilled with it and it made life easy. As far as function, I had no complaints. It couldn't have possibly worked any better, and I used to say it was worth every penny spent (I'm quite reluctant to spend much money).

Last edited:
I'm on year 9 with my Aquabot 4WD, expect it to die anyday. No repairs! I like 4 wheels rather than treads, hardly any wear. I've been looking, but just decided today to remove 25' of the 60' cord. Spliced & soldered near power supply so wouldn't be near water. Cords is the worst part! If there's a good Labor Day sale I might buy a Dolphin and use my 4WD as backup.

Can I ask why you wouldn't replace it with another Aquabot? The Dolphin doesn't seem to have that longevity.
They don't sell the same one, but I tried one that looks almost the same (b200), but I really didn't like the filter material. It was more cloth-like and everything stick to it and wouldn't hose off easily. So I returned it. I'd also like 1 filter rather than 2.

Reactions: guinness
This is our second season with the Dolphin E10i. I've had to replace the base unit twice and now it's stopped working again. I'm told it'll be MONTHS due to a backlog of service work, before we can have the parts to repair it. Not a happy camper.
is it still under warranty?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dang, makes me wonder where the best place to buy is local, Amazon, or Marina. I'm guessing same issue anywhere.

Dang, makes me wonder where the best place to buy is local, Amazon, or Marina. I'm guessing same issue anywhere.

Buying local makes the most sense in my opinion. At least with a local shop you have an established relationship, ie, you gave them lots of your hard-earned money and they handed you a box full of plastic parts, and, they know that you know where they live. So that creates a little more incentive for them to help you out in a pinch rather than some rando internet seller that never has to worry about you showing up in their store with a box full of broken/non-functioning plastic parts.

With the internet, all you can realistically do is go on Facebook or Twitter and trash them if they don't help you out ... not a lot of leverage there.

Buying local makes the most sense in my opinion. At least with a local shop you have an established relationship, ie, you gave them lots of your hard-earned money and they handed you a box full of plastic parts, and, they know that you know where they live. So that creates a little more incentive for them to help you out in a pinch rather than some rando internet seller that never has to worry about you showing up in their store with a box full of broken/non-functioning plastic parts.

With the internet, all you can realistically do is go on Facebook or Twitter and trash them if they don't help you out ... not a lot of leverage there.
Except don't they all just ship them to Maytronics? All we have is one Leslie's, and if be surprised if they come close to Marina Pool price.

Except don't they all just ship them to Maytronics? All we have is one Leslie's, and if be surprised if they come close to Marina Pool price.

No, not all of them. The store I bought my old robot from does in-store repairs. They may need to order parts from Maytronics but they’ll do the repairs themselves. I would agree that Leslie’s probably will not have competitive prices.

Well, this thread hasn't helped too much with what robot to buy. lol I was gonna go with Dolphin but people seem to have issues with them breaking....

Honestly, you just have to go into the purchase knowing you will likely get 3 to 5 seasons worth of use out of it. As long as you’re good with that, then pretty much any robot you buy will fit the bill. Dolphins are generally a safe choice especially if you go simple and stick with an S200 type model. It’s nearing the end of the swim season so you should definitely do some comparison shopping to see if you can find a deal. If you can buy it with a credit card that gives an extended warranty, then even better.

Guess none of these would work? S200 is defintely a bit high at $1000.

Side question, where would you look for a deal on them?

Deal shopping is the same no matter where you live - call up all your local pool shops and see what they offer. Call Marinas Spa and Patio in Colorado and see what they’re offering. Check Amazon.

Personally, I’m a fan of buying locally at brick and mortar shops. At least then you have an established customer relationship should something need to be fixed. If you buy online or out of state, then you’re stuck with with dealing with customer service over the phone and possibly paying for shipping.

The Active 20 (S200) is like $860, still too high for me. I'm leaning towards the E20 ($600), but can't see spending that until my Aquabot dies.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.