Robot use/schedule

DAB942

Gold Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Space Coast, FL
I have a Barracuda MX8, which has done the trick. However, I've refurbed it a few times -- same with my parents'.

I leave it in all the time.

I'm considering a robot -- there are WAY too many choices.

Is this a device that can be left in all the time? Since it's powered, I would assume not.

I leave my Dolphin Active20 in the pool all summer when we are home. Clean the filter every few uses. I pull it over to a little shelf we have in the corner of our pool and it sits there when not running. The power/control unit should not be left in an area that can get wet or with direct sunlight. So you have to manage that.

I leave my Dolphin Active20 in the pool all summer when we are home. Clean the filter every few uses. I pull it over to a little shelf we have in the corner of our pool and it sits there when not running. The power/control unit should not be left in an area that can get wet or with direct sunlight. So you have to manage that.

Thanks.

I'm thinking about a robot for my parent's as well. Only issue is power is pretty far away from the pool.

edit: Are you happy with that model? I'm cursed with research OCD. :) When buying anything, I research it to death -- sometimes to a point where new models come out. :)

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Our pool is in a screen enclosure. We have sand that gets in the pool when the lawn crew mows. I just want something I can rely on to work.

Didn't get the edit in, in time:

Are you happy with that model? I'm cursed with research OCD. :) When buying anything, I research it to death -- sometimes to a point where new models come out. :)

I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. Our pool is in a screen enclosure. We have sand that gets in the pool when the lawn crew mows. I just want something I can rely on to work.

Very happy. It is the basic model. No bluetooth, etc. No caddy, I do not need one. Cleans great.

This is our first spring/summer with our pool, and we LOVE our robot. It stays in the pool and I run it a few times a week. I'm amazed at what an awesome job it does. We had a lot of dirt in our pool upon opening and only hand vac'd once. Fred (the robot) took care of everything else, including the massive worm pile. Ours is basic and we don't have a caddy either. Margaret from Marina is amazing and has the best pricing and ships super fast! Robotic Pool Cleaners - Maytronics Residential

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second the robot, I have the warrior se (s200) and leave it in unless we are swimming. I have mine in automation mode and runs from 5:30am to 7:15 am so I wake up to a clean pool.
You will think your pool is clean then empty the basket and wonder where all that stuff came from it picked up.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I love my new Dolphin S200; seems to meet your requirements of easy/few bells and whistles. IMO you don't need any.

I run mine every other day (manually, not programmed). Also, I don't keep mine in the pool all the time. I guess I could but I'm nervous with the AZ sun sucking the life out of it. So I picked up this, in which I keep the robot and the control panel. It allows me to keep the robot on its side, which is recommended by many in order to preserve the scrubbers. And it's a nice place for an adult beverage :cool:

20200514_121825.jpg20200514_121850.jpg

Didn't get the edit in, in time:

Are you happy with that model? I'm cursed with research OCD. :) When buying anything, I research it to death -- sometimes to a point where new models come out. :)

I was that way, hard to convince myself to spend $700 when my polaris was working..But I can tell you my pool has never been cleaner..I have mine set to run from 5:30 to 7:15 and its spotless when I get up :)

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to order the Active 20 or one of its clones. I think it will do the trick with being able to automate it running a few times a week on its own. I'm also going to order the SWG and auto gear as well. I'm working my way toward zero-ish maintenance. I just have to find my post where I listed the parts :)

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to order the Active 20 or one of its clones. I think it will do the trick with being able to automate it running a few times a week on its own. I'm also going to order the SWG and auto gear as well. I'm working my way toward zero-ish maintenance. I just have to find my post where I listed the parts :)

It changes Pool life, I added both this spring
Plus my pool looks so much better, not sure it's the salt or a constant feed of chlorine but it's very blue and clear :) The robot running every morning also helps

I have a dolphin premier and I'm very happy with it. Scrubs the water line and 'most' of the time it covers the entire pool (Grecian rectangle). I leave it in the pool for days at a time and could likely go longer but I remove it to clean the filter.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.