Robot Pool Cleaner Guidance

Sep 11, 2014
Winter Springs, FL
Hello,

I have a 15,000 gallon pool (Approx 14' x 30' and six feet at the deep end). Since I moved into this house, I have been using suction cleaners. When we bought the house, there was already a "Pool Cleaner" (looks like a little 2-wheeled tank). After about a year, I noticed it wasn't doing a very good job and it was looking a little worn out. So I bought a MX8 Elite. For the first year, this did a fantastic job. During the second year, it did ok, but I noticed it wasn't climbing the walls very well. After the second year, I replaced some parts, and it worked well again for about 6 months. Now it is basically useless.

From what I'm reading, I'm coming to the conclusion that I should stop wasting my time with these types of cleaners and get a robot. Seems like most are recommending the Maytronics S200. I think it is great that Maytronics has about 14 different models that all appear identical, and are only rebranded for various retailers and/or online only. From What I can tell, the Dolphin S200, Porteous Dx4, Active 20, Discovery and Triton PS are basically the same unit, with different color plastic or handle shape. On Amazon, I found the Nautilus CC Plus, but looking at the Specs on Maytronics' website, this has "2 Brushes, 0 Active" where as the others have "2 Brushes, 1 Active". So I guess that one is not quite the same?

I also see these come with programable schedules - does this mean you can simply leave it in the pool all the time? Is that recommended?

What is the longevity people are getting out of these? Are repairs possible (i.e., parts available at a reasonable price)?

I'm considering changing to a SWG down the road, but that is still probably 6 months to a year away. Any issue with one of these robots in the salt water?

Thanks,

Reactions: mnmpizza
I have the Warrior SE version. These all seem to run 2 hrs then turn off which is more than enough for me. To control I use a smart plug and for this you need to put it in "automation mode" or it will switch off after a week. I've seen a lot of people that leave them in 24/7 and I do this as well. I don't want to be lugging it in and out every day. The robot is supposed to make my life easier not harder! Parts are available at reasonable cost for wheels/drive belts. Cord is not cheap but waaaaay less than a robot so long as you use the SE version. SI cord is $$$$$$.

Hope this helps.

Chris

To control I use a smart plug and for this you need to put it in "automation mode" or it will switch off after a week.

Hi Chris - Thanks for the info. I ended up getting the Nautilus CC Plus. I like your idea of getting a Smart Plug so I don't have to push the button every week. But it seems like when I plug the cleaner in, nothing happens until I push the Power Button on the Power Supply. So I'm not clear on how a smart plug would help here, if the Power Button needs to be pressed once the smart plug turns on. Could you elaborate how you set this up?

I looked at the manual for the Warrior SE, and it seems similar to what I have - A power Button and 3 schedules to choose from (Daily, every other day, twice per week).

Thanks
-Matt

You need to put it in automation mode. I'm not familiar with your brand but it seems they all work similarly. Press the left most small button for 10 sec's; all the lights go on indicating you're in automation mode. Unplug it without doing anything else then re-plug it. Should start immediately and run for 2 hrs. Once you confirm you have it running in automation mode add a smart plug and set it to run whatever frequency/time you want. So long as it stays in automation mode each time you reapply power it starts again. If you accidentally press the big power button it disables automation mode and you have to redo the procedure. I start mine 9:30 am daily and run for 2 hrs will experiment with less time when I get a chance but pool is cleanest it's ever been. Here's a link to the automation procedure. My warrior SE works exactly the same. Sometimes I have to repeat the procedure twice to get it to work.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Ahh... that's a bummer. The Nautilus CC Plus does not have Automation Mode. I tried holding buttons in all sorts of ways, and finally looked it up on Maytronic's Website. In the spec list, it says "No" for automation mode. Interestingly, its cheaper little brother the Nautilus CC does have it. I wonder why they left it out on this model....

Anyway, thanks for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Matt,

I took a look at your cleaner and it is a different machine indeed. Controller and mechanism are much different so it looks like it may not have automation mode. I'd call the place you purchased it from and see if they'll exchange it for one of the S200 look-alike brands. If you got it from Marina Spa I'm pretty sure they'll work with you. If you bought it somewhere else worst they can do is say no.

Chris

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to give some info to those looking for a pool cleaner. I've been neglecting my pool a lot lately, and realized that I needed a pool cleaner. After going through the Forums here, I decided to get the Pentair Warrior SE. I've had numerous suction based cleaners in the past Zodiac Barracuda and Great White. The suction based cleaners "work" and are cheaper than the robotic ones. After one clean with the Warrior SE, I realize that it is much better than any suction cleaner that I've ever used. I'm used to suction cleaners getting hung up on something (drain cover, stair corners, railing, etc.), or get stuck going around in circles. The Warrior SE, truly press the button and come back in 3 hours to a basket full of debris and a clean pool.

Based on the recommendations from the people here, I went with Margaret at Marina Pools and would also highly recommend Marina to others looking for a Warrior SE. Marina did their job and got the cleaner to me fast and undamaged, now hopefully the Warrior gives me a good service life and a much cleaner pool.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I wanted to give some info to those looking for a pool cleaner. I've been neglecting my pool a lot lately, and realized that I needed a pool cleaner. After going through the Forums here, I decided to get the Pentair Warrior SE. I've had numerous suction based cleaners in the past Zodiac Barracuda and Great White. The suction based cleaners "work" and are cheaper than the robotic ones. After one clean with the Warrior SE, I realize that it is much better than any suction cleaner that I've ever used. I'm used to suction cleaners getting hung up on something (drain cover, stair corners, railing, etc.), or get stuck going around in circles. The Warrior SE, truly press the button and come back in 3 hours to a basket full of debris and a clean pool.

Based on the recommendations from the people here, I went with Margaret at Marina Pools and would also highly recommend Marina to others looking for a Warrior SE. Marina did their job and got the cleaner to me fast and undamaged, now hopefully the Warrior gives me a good service life and a much cleaner pool.
I did the same things, have ran mine in a “clean” pool and still shocked at the dirt it picks up.

Automation mode is a little tricky to get working but if you can use a smart plug it’s great.In summer I run mine for an hour at midnight and 2 starting at 5am so wake up to a spotless pool. Plus my small dog things it’s a alien monster and barks at it everytime it comes up which is why I run at night.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.