Gold Supporter
Jul 23, 2021
Atascadero, Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The motor assemblies get water in them and the internal drive motors die. They are not repairable and Maytronics actively keeps the internal components off the market. Therefore, after it fails outside of warranty, you are forced to either pay for a very expensive motor assembly replacement or buy a new robot. Motor assemblies right now cost $450 + tax & shipping.

Expect the average life of the unit to be around 5 years.
I saw this on another thread and didn't want to hijack it.

Is there any periodic maintenance we should do to mitigate this? Like, I try to change the seals on my pump every season.

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
I check the impeller of my pump for string, hair, etc. But do not open the pump assembly.

Reactions: KJB1
It’s unknown if opening up the motor assembly to check for water helps or not (some members have down that). The fact is, there are five (5) points of incursion on the motor assembly with three rotational seals. Failure by water leaks is all but assured since none of the rotational motor seals are serviceable. I doubt the body seal on the motor assembly would ever really leak.

It’s just a consequence of the design. These robots are expected to be consumable - trash it and buy new when they fail outside of warranty. It’s just the way it is …

I really liked what Felipe did here and I will definitely do this going forward because it just makes a lot of sense :
When I opened mine there was some water in the motor enclosure but not enough to damage anything , in my trained opinion as mech engineer, but because of a design error the desiccant pouch managed to destroy the drive motor. I just ordered a new/used motor and hopefully I will get the S200 back to life again as a backup. I'll keep you guys update when the motor will arrive from Israel.
Maytronics should definitely provide the parts as the whole robot is made to be easily repaired by user , actually surprisingly nice design with very few screws or plastic snaps.

I really liked what Felipe did here and I will definitely do this going forward because it just makes a lot of sense :
When I opened mine there was some water in the motor enclosure but not enough to damage anything , in my trained opinion as mech engineer, but because of a design error the desiccant pouch managed to destroy the drive motor. I just ordered a new/used motor and hopefully I will get the S200 back to life again as a backup. I'll keep you guys update when the motor will arrive from Israel.
Maytronics should definitely provide the parts as the whole robot is made to be easily repaired by user , actually surprisingly nice design with very few screws or plastic snaps.

I think I would disagree with it being a "nice design" ;) maybe nice for the manufacturer because it's easy for someone with minimal skills to assemble in their warehouse. Not so nice to the retail customer as it can not be serviced. Ordering salvaged parts on eBay from some rando in Israel is really not a solution for most people. It would cost nothing in terms of sales to make spares available to hobbyists that like to tinker and fix things but it costs them huge amounts of goodwill with that very same group because they actively keep critical parts out of circulation. Kind of pointless if you ask me ...

Also, they decided to manufacture these robots using mechanically commutated (brushed) DC motors instead of brushless DC motors ... now I fully understand that brushless DC motors would require a more sophisticated control board to be designed to achieve the variable speeds that they use in their different drives but, come on, carbon brushes flinging carbon dust all over the inside of a sealed and submerged motor assembly ... I want to know who on the design motor assembly team thought THAT was a good idea ?? How many of us own cheap cordless drills with variable speed/high-torque BLDC motors in them?? It's not rocket science ...

Let us know how the rando Israeli eBay motor works out ...

My bot is on its first season. I'm a little reluctant to open things up just to check the seals, I'd be concerned about getting to seal as well as the factory had it but it doesn't look like they took any great pains to make it watertight. I thought lubricating the o-rings was just to keep them pliable and you only needed enough coat the o-ring. I guess it's a good idea to look at the impeller - probably do that in the fall.

I'm surprised they didn't use brushless motors.

My bot is on its first season. I'm a little reluctant to open things up just to check the seals, I'd be concerned about getting to seal as well as the factory had it but it doesn't look like they took any great pains to make it watertight. I thought lubricating the o-rings was just to keep them pliable and you only needed enough coat the o-ring. I guess it's a good idea to look at the impeller - probably do that in the fall.

I'm surprised they didn't use brushless motors.
I am on season number 3 with my Dolphin Nautilus CC Plus. All I have done is clean filters after each use, hose down the whole unit after each use and spray the climb wheels with a hose and if I see any dirt, i rub with my finger and hose off. I purchased extra climb wheels and an extra brush with the unit and have not used anything yet. My season is short in NY 4 months so that is perhaps why I have not used any consumables.

My Warrior SI lives in the pool 24/7 for the 8 month season, the control box outside exposed to the elements. I’ve never opened any sealed compartment. Other than clean filters the only ‘maintenance’ I’ve done is wrap the cable with vinyl tape to help protect it from chlorine and sun degradation. 3+ years and going strong.

Attachments

• D215B019-76AF-4804-AF0C-125ECDD9F807.jpeg
    D215B019-76AF-4804-AF0C-125ECDD9F807.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 19
I'm on my third season with my Maytronics. It lives in the pool about 80% of the time year-round. Last year, it died. The pool store sent it off to be repaired under warranty (water in the motor). This year it died again. Not sure the exact cause this time but the pool store was able to get it going again. I love the robot, but I am a little disappointed in the longevity so far. I'm going to start trying to pull it out of the water more often in hopes of extending its lifespan.

Two years and one month in mine no longer works. 👎

However it has lived in the water 24/7.

I'm trying to have it warrantied. If that doesn't work I'll order the motor assembly, repair it, and keep it out of the water as much as possible. See if the next go round is longer.

If not, I'll try an Aquabot or Aiper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Two years and one month in mine no longer works. 👎

However it has lived in the water 24/7.

I'm trying to have it warrantied. If that doesn't work I'll order the motor assembly, repair it, and keep it out of the water as much as possible. See if the next go round is longer.

If not, I'll try an Aquabot or Aiper.

Yep. 2 years is definitely low end. Hopefully Pentair will cut you a break. If not, that sucks.

We’re seeing a good number of failures being posted here on the forum for all these Maytronics bots and their branded clones. Looks like the recent generation of bots (born on date of 2018 or later) seem to be out of commission in the 3-5 year mark. Now TFP doesn’t know of every robot out there and there may be plenty of 10 year old robots that no one ever says boo about, but I think TFP could be a good statistical sampling since our members are very vocal and share pretty quickly when something isn’t right.

How many pool robot owners simply go to a shop and pay the $450 for a new motor just assuming that “hey, it’s pool equipment and pools just cost money….” I bet a lot of robot owners do that.

Looks like you just needed to replace the brush. All that "dirt" is carbon from the brush wearing down. It's about a 25 cent piece. I replaced 2 drive motor brushes and it worked like new. Just gotta have some basic solder skills which you can acquire from youtube.
I have zero solder skills

I saw this on another thread and didn't want to hijack it.

Is there any periodic maintenance we should do to mitigate this? Like, I try to change the seals on my pump every season.
check impellar often and be mindful of chlorine levels when running the cleaner. usually water getting into anything means the chlorine has slowy eaten away at the o rings and seals. never have the robot in the pool when recently shocked

never have the robot in the pool when recently shocked
That depends on CYA level.
My robot has lived in the pool since May 2017. Yes, the cord, the part that is in the sun, has degraded. Not just the part in the water.

That depends on CYA level.
My robot has lived in the pool since May 2017. Yes, the cord, the part that is in the sun, has degraded. Not just the part in the water.
I'm not denying the sun has a factor but the shock or any chlorine definitely does affect it. whether it be residue on the cleaner/cord or even being stored right next to chlorine in the shed. I've seen cleaners completely BLEACHED / yellowed out and flaking away from it within a year's time if not mindful of that. the recommended range for chlorine is no higher than 4 PPM.

• Wow
the recommended range for chlorine is no higher than 4 PPM.
That precludes the use in nearly all pools that use TFPC methods. You are definitely wrong on that. Many of us, including me, keep them in FC levels higher than that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.