Reviving out of service pool: FG & deck Refresh

Wow that is one busy pad. I feel your pain. Its gonna be hard to get anybody to work on that. I honestly saw ur pic and my first thought was I wouldnt touch that. Alot of contractors ignore the hard ones or give the crazy price and figure if they bite ill make some extra bucks

Wow that is one busy pad. I feel your pain. Its gonna be hard to get anybody to work on that. I honestly saw ur pic and my first thought was I wouldnt touch that. Alot of contractors ignore the hard ones or give the crazy price and figure if they bite ill make some extra bucks
That's pretty much why I figured contacting more pool guys was probably futile.

Although it looks complex in pic, it really was easy to use everyday - and that's high priority here. Of course the Gods of Head would be tossing lightning bolts at me for all of the gratuitous elbows. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Saw this over in Under Construction:
Blowers used to be standard in spas, and used to be the primary "jet" system. But not for a long time. High power efficient pumps provide better water action, and blowers cool the water rapidly, so often go unused anyway. Most portable spas do not even offer them as an option anymore.
If that's the case, is it likely that I'd be able to get decent jet action just my increasing my VS pump speed and not using the blower? The cool down statement is significant for me. Even though we have hot summers, the partial shade and normal wind here make it tough to get to 86° water temp even during our 100° spells. :unsure:

Just jumped in from the quote notification. Sorry, but I did not read all 5 pages. o_O
Wow, awesome pad! That looks like fun.

Alot of contractors ignore the hard ones or give the crazy price
I was the guy they referred when they were scared. Or "too busy"... I like a challenge, normal stuff is boring. I'd take that job in a heartbeat.
As for your spa, give it all that the filter can take. But it will never have the same feel as with the air in there. You feel air bubbles hit you, which gives the impression of greater pressure, even though the pressure is unchanged.

As for your spa, give it all that the filter can take. But it will never have the same feel as with the air in there. You feel air bubbles hit you, which gives the impression of greater pressure, even though the pressure is unchanged.
Thanks for the extended feedback. Saw another thread also talking about how much filter could take and asked if there was a chart or something. Was afraid it might be considered a hijack, and, sure 'nuff, mods separated if off. No harm meant, really, but I just tend to chirp in like it was a real conversation. My bad. :LOL:

Yeah, I am guilty of the same. Still learning the ins-and-outs of forums. Kinda new to them myself, going on 3 months since my very first forum experience on FTE (ford truck enthusiasts). I'm hooked. :goodjob:
But there I go "hijacking" your thread...

Yeah, I am guilty of the same. Still learning the ins-and-outs of forums. Kinda new to them myself, going on 3 months since my very first forum experience on FTE (ford truck enthusiasts). I'm hooked. :goodjob: But there I go "hijacking" your thread...
I'm just a lurker on most forums that I visit. But I'm a regular on a tractor forum where it's rare for any thread NOT to go off topic. :LOL: Guess it depends on the forum.

Are you sure there are no Teens you can lure over to do the grunt work with some cookies or something? ;)
You're kidding, right? Getting teens to work is worse than motivating husbands. Heard that it was recommended that they be placed in a padded room at 13 and let out at 20. :ROFLMAO:

-----------------

Happy May Day! Only maypole that I'm dealing with has a leaf net on the end. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Casey
You're kidding, right? Getting teens to work is worse than motivating husbands. Heard that it was recommended that they be placed in a padded room at 13 and let out at 20. :ROFLMAO:
Not entirely... even teens have their price. I live in a house with 4 of them. sure they would prefer to exercise their thumbs in online games.. but they can be refocused with the "proper" motivation. ;)

I am not sure luring teens with cookies or something is a wise choice in this day and age. Might find yourself on a watchlist or something...
It was being metaphorically ironical... I'm sure I'm already on the bad dad joke and snarkasm watch list along with those Grimm Brothers

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
even teens have their price. I live in a house with 4 of them
Been a long time since I've had teens living in the house (in case you didn't know, I'm an old coot :LOL:); my 2 youngest grandkids, an hour away, are teens though. ;)

---------------

From the "unintentional hijack" post that the mods moved to a new thread that I mentioned earlier:

Not meaning to hijack, but is there a chart somewhere for this [pump too powerful for filter]? Am planning a Intelliflow VS 3 hp and a Quad DE 60 (or 80 or 100) with 1-1/2" pipe.
You filter has a flow rate rating. The pump may or may not be able to exceed this value. The safe thing to do is to keep RPM low enough so the filter pressure is not more than about 20 PSI.
This concerns me. Maybe I should bypass the filter, that is, recirculate when I increase the pump speed for my jets - pretty much back to what I've got now.

---------------

Don't often review products, but I'd like to give high marks to the ProTuff Leaf Net and Pole that I'm using. Bought the pricey net a couple of years ago from Amazon and was impressed by it's quality. When I decided to buy a heavy duty pole, I checked out theirs on Amazon and, for some unknown reason, the ProTuff site. Found that if I registered the net, I could get a discount on the pole at Amazon, so I did. Both have life-time warranties - even if you don't register them as long as you have proof of purchase. This past weekend, noticed the seams on the net were starting to come apart - not terribly surprising with the amount of heavy lifting that I'm doing. Called ProTuff on Monday, told them about the seams and they immediately sent a replacement without even seeing a pic of the damage. Received it yesterday (Friday). Top Service! And that pole is great - has push buttons to change length instead of those darn twist locks - and SO solid. Weighs a little more than a std pole, but has not been a problem for me. Expensive, but really recommend these for anyone who is unfortunate to have a swamp to clean! (y)(y)

Reactions: kimkats
What is your filter model #? A high flow rating (150 GPM) should not be be a problem. A small filter could be an issue.

Haven't purchased equipment yet. Most likely will be:
IntelliFlo VS 3 HP pump (11028)
Quad 60 DE filter (188592)
or possibly the Quad 80 or Quad 100 filters.

The 60 DE is 120 GPM max flow which is way more than what the pump can put out especially in a spa application. So I don't think this will be an issue.

Thanks. I thought the max flow for the filter & the 1-1/2" pipe were about the same, but the orig thread made we want to make sure I hadn't overlooked something when trying to simplify my plumbing for the in-pool spa-type jets. (y)

Pipe doesn't really have a maximum flow rate although it is a good idea to keep velocity below 8 ft/sec to keep head loss reasonable.

Reactions: Khuxford
Looking at the 2-way, 3-way and check valves that I'm going to need. Planning on Jandy Never Lubes except for the solar 3-way which would be the Pentair 3 Way Solar Valve (263047). Looking at the Flow Meter - sounds like the FloVis is pretty good and has a built in check valve. But my current logical plumbing diagram has it on the solar feed and I'd think that a check value here would defeat the purpose of the drain in the 3 Way Solar valve. AFAIK, flow is flow, so couldn't I just replace the solar return check valve with a FloVis? Any good reason to put a FloVis anywhere else?
20a Equipment Layout 1.jpg

------------------

Still scooping away. Almost thought I was going to hit a milestone today: full pass from deep to shallow on 1 side of the pool while keeping to my 4 lawn cart/day load limit. But a muck pocket in the last 2 ft on the shallow end thwarted me. :brickwall:

Have found something in deep end that I keep hitting - can't bring it up and can barely move it. Got all excited when I read someone's post about a cheap 15 ft waterproof inspection camera, but it could only go 3 ft deep. :( Have a 6 ft one and had built a 100 ft sewer cam, but those aren't deep divers either. Guess I'm going to have to continue pretending it's the Heart of the Ocean while it's still in algaeville. :giggle:

Last edited:
You should only need 2 check valves. One right after the filter and the other on the solar return. Why so many others?

Thought I'd read that there should be one before the SWG. Had questioned the value of check valve above it myself. Probably misinterpreted something when I figured out that I was going to need a Solar 3-way (solar on/off) AND a Solar flow control (low pump speed/high pump speed if in-pool spa-type jets mode).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.