Returns keep getting clogged

edmick

Sep 23, 2018
McKinney
Quick backstory: Been in the house almost two years now. Started with pool service but they were so unreliable that I decided to try to do it myself this season. Getting comfortable with the chemistry, but been battling clogged lines recently.

My setup has two skimmers at each end plus a cleaner port in the middle. The cleaner port has never had great suction, so I've been running the cleaner off the skimmer closest to the pump since it had the strongest suction. A couple days ago I noticed that the cleaner was moving slowly, so I checked the suction and it was much lower than normal. Tried opening and closing the valve and using a snake on the pool side but so far nothing has helped. I've tried to snake and water jet the cleaner port line before and it didn't help either. Pump pressure is currently at 15psi. with the one good skimmer fully open and the drain open halfway.

Any suggestions on how to get the skimmer and cleaner port lines opened up? Or am I missing something else that might be causing the lack of suction?

Ed,

Show us some pics of your equipment pad and we can give you some better ideas of what to do..

Do your skimmers have operating weir doors?

Do you leave your suction cleaner running all the time?

Just from what you said above, I would either shut off the main drain or only open it 10%.. I would turn off the cleaner and see what happens to skimmer operation.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. Yes, both skimmers have working doors. I usually leave the suction cleaner running if there's any noticeable debris on the bottom. If it's clean, I'll pull it out for a day or two.

I don't usually have the drain on, I only opened it up after the one skimmer clogged. The cleaner port is usually off, too, since nothing is connected. Pics of the setup are attached.

Attachments

• pad1.jpg
    pad1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 9
  • pad2.jpg
    pad2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 9
  • valves1.jpg
    valves1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 8
Ed,

Thanks for the pics, they make it much easier to provide an answer..

The first thing I would do it to get a Drain King type of bladder... Drain King 186 Bathroom Sinks, Showers, and Swimming Pool Drains, 1.5 to 3 Inch - Chemical Drain Openers - Amazon.com They come in all sizes so make sure you get the right size for your pool.

Take the top off of the valve for the non-working skimmer. This will do two things.. it will allow you to make sure nothing is inside the valve and it will also give you a place to stick the bladder. With the bladder on the end of a garden hose, force water from the valve back into the skimmer.. You might have to go back an forth between the skimmer and the valve to break up any clog.. With any type of luck, you'll push out a bunch of leaves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Used a bladder and a wire snake and finally get the clog cleared. It took a few tries with each method before the main source of the clog cleared. Will be trying same method on the cleaner line today or tomorrow.

Ed

Great advice and nice work following it on your part. Did your psi change when you cleared the clog? That 15 psi pre-clearing has me wondering if your gauge is operating correctly.

Cleared the cleaner line today using the snake. Filter dropped to about 12 psi which is where it is normally. Now I have two solid skimmers and a working cleaner port that cleans more evenly as it's in the middle of the pool. Thanks for the help. (y)

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.