Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2015
Fort Mill, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
OK it seems like this is an annual event for me every springtime. I really have had a tight control on things this year. Here are my numbers currently:

CYA: 40
pH: 7.4
TA: 70

My FC target is 3 - 7, and I usually dose it to 9 or so. My daily chlorine demand this time of year is consistently 2.5 and I have absolutely not fallen below FC of 5 or so. Yet, I'm looking at mustard algae again. It starts off as a pool that is always dirty despite frequent brushings. Then I get kind of a splotchy darkness over most of the liner. It brushes off easily and does have a brownish-yellow color. I sort of had denial issues because of all the pollen, but that dropped off a few weeks ago and it's not pollen. What feeds my denial is the normal chlorine demand. But my sand filter got clogged after only two weeks which is also very unusual. I can normally go months without backwashing.

Anyway, I backwashed and started the mustard-level SLAM last night and ran the FC up to 24 based on calculation. I measured it this morning, and of course it is 24. I had this last year.

My solution is just to chlorinate to 24 and hold it there for 3-4 days and brush. The overnight chlorine loss test can't be used in my case for whatever reason. Any ideas about the nature of this phenomenon, and why I still get struck despite meticulous balancing of the water?

I've had the same this year, but luckily it's been starting to eat up the FC. I found brushing at lest 2 or 3 times a day to keep bottom clear has helped get it to the pump / filter which I've been running non-stop for 5 days now. Really brushing it good. All walls, bottom, ladders, steps, anything and everything needs to be brushed very well. Then once a day I vacuum slowly and carefully to suck out as much of the brownish clumps as I can without disturbing it back into puffs of brown smoke. I am on day 5 now of SLAM / yellow algae slam (keeping FC 16) with pump running 24/7 and I am FINALLY on the backside. Today the water actually looks blue for the first time in a week.

I can't answer why you get it. Sometimes it just happens. Some algae, especially yellow / mustard algae are extremely resistant to chlorine. But mustard algae is exceptionally rare. But some pools, as noted by others here, are more susceptible for some reason.

Last edited:
I will say I'm not super diligent about raking and brushing early in the season, sometimes I let things slide. So, I'm guessing the leaves and dirt give the algae a hideout to cling to. There wasn't a lot, but it wasn't totally clean. Dang!

You are supposed to do the normal
SLAM Process first then only proceed to MA protocols after passing all 3 end of slam criteria
MA slam level is only for 24 hours.
After all is done it may behoove you to maintain MA minimum for a while since this is a recurring problem.

Reactions: clambert1273
You are supposed to do the normal
SLAM Process first then only proceed to MA protocols after passing all 3 end of slam criteria
MA slam level is only for 24 hours.
After all is done it may behoove you to maintain MA minimum for a while since this is a recurring problem.
A critical aspect of SLAM is the overnight free chlorine loss test. I already know the result, basically zero. So, this procedure as stated doesn't seem to work in my case.

A critical aspect of SLAM is the overnight free chlorine loss test. I already know the result, basically zero. So, this procedure as stated doesn't seem to work in my case.
If you have visible algae (mustard or not) you should still be in regular slam. If no visible algae, elevated cc, or ocl, then pass go, collect your $200 & raise fc to MA level for 24 hours whilst doing the other protocols. The MA slam level isn’t the main prescription the regular slam level is. MA slam level is more like insurance/ last nail in the coffin & not meant to be maintained for an extended time as it’s quite harsh on surfaces and equipment.
The MA minimum can be maintained for however long you wish if concerned about reoccurrence.

Have you tried raising to normal SLAM FC level for your CYA level, take your FC test 30 minutes after adding the chemicals, then brushing like crazy before calling it a night. Waking up and testing immediately? Sometimes you need to get the water stirred up really good to get the chlorine to work enough to register drops overnight.

I suggest you get your pool clear and clean and then consider using a supplemental disinfectant. You can try using Polyquat-60 as a regular maintenance item to help keep the algae at bay or your can try adding borates up to 50ppm to help slow algae growth rates.

Some pools are simply prone to mustard algae. Given your location in the humid southeastern US, it’s a common form of algae in the environment.

I suggest you get your pool clear and clean and then consider using a supplemental disinfectant. You can try using Polyquat-60 as a regular maintenance item to help keep the algae at bay or your can try adding borates up to 50ppm to help slow algae growth rates.

Some pools are simply prone to mustard algae. Given your location in the humid southeastern US, it’s a common form of algae in the environment.
Thanks, yeah I was thinking along those lines. Next year though, maybe March through May. Once I get into summer, I seem to be fine.

Well things are looking pretty good. The procedure I is use is my Double Slam! Here is the event log:

1) Brushed pool Tuesday night, heavy algae on liner only. Backwashed and ran FC up to 24.
2) Tested FC Wednesday morning, right at 24. Brushed, modest algae on liner.
3) Tested FC Wednesday night, down to 14 (partially cloudy weather). Brushed, light algae on liner. Ran FC back up to 24.
4) Brushed Thursday morning, light algae on liner.
5) Brushed Thursday afternoon, zero algae.
6) May do a quick backwash tomorrow for good measure.

I'm not saying this is better than the standard TFP approach, but it works for me. I can't babysit the pool during the day, and this keeps it at or above the regular SLAM level unsupervised during working hours. I don't trust the overnight free chlorine loss test for the reasons stated, so it seems like a waste of time and reagent. I did this last year and it worked as well (and seems to work quickly).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well things are looking pretty good. The procedure I is use is my Double Slam! Here is the event log:

1) Brushed pool Tuesday night, heavy algae on liner only. Backwashed and ran FC up to 24.
2) Tested FC Wednesday morning, right at 24. Brushed, modest algae on liner.
3) Tested FC Wednesday night, down to 14 (partially cloudy weather). Brushed, light algae on liner. Ran FC back up to 24.
4) Brushed Thursday morning, light algae on liner.
5) Brushed Thursday afternoon, zero algae.
6) May do a quick backwash tomorrow for good measure.

I'm not saying this is better than the standard TFP approach, but it works for me. I can't babysit the pool during the day, and this keeps it at or above the regular SLAM level unsupervised during working hours. I don't trust the overnight free chlorine loss test for the reasons stated, so it seems like a waste of time and reagent. I did this last year and it worked as well (and seems to work quickly).
I too find bumping up to yellow algae level helps clear it quickly, BUT, the main reason TFP doesn't recommend this is how hard it is on everything. FC levels that high, especially sustaining it for anything longer than a few days, could quickly start to tear up equipment and liners.

I too find bumping up to yellow algae level helps clear it quickly, BUT, the main reason TFP doesn't recommend this is how hard it is on everything. FC levels that high, especially sustaining it for anything longer than a few days, could quickly start to tear up equipment and liners.
Link? You can swim up to SLAM level which is 15 at CYA 40. Slightly above that is more of a comfort and bleaching issue than a safety issue. So, I'm not of the opinion that 24 parts per MILLION free chlorine is going to damage my liner in any way.

Link? You can swim up to SLAM level which is 15 at CYA 40. Slightly above that is more of a comfort and bleaching issue than a safety issue. So, I'm not of the opinion that 24 parts per MILLION free chlorine is going to damage my liner in any way.

I don’t necessarily need to have burden of proof here. I’ll let the other more seasoned experts chime in. Here’s a quick search of just this site. There are hundreds of others if you Google the same terms. All of which would disagree with that assertion. Though CYA does greatly help.

Last edited:
As @dBsooner , @Mdragger88 (a TFP guide), and @JoyfulNoise (a TFP expert) have stated what you are doing is not standard TFP procedure. I am stating this so anyone that finds this thread in the future will know this fact. It is your pool and you are free to care for it how you see fit. Good luck on getting it clean and clear so you can go back to enjoying your pool!

Kim TFP MOD

As @dBsooner , @Mdragger88 (a TFP guide), and @JoyfulNoise (a TFP expert) have stated what you are doing is not standard TFP procedure. I am stating this so anyone that finds this thread in the future will know this fact. It is your pool and you are free to care for it how you see fit. Good luck on getting it clean and clear so you can go back to enjoying your pool!

Kim TFP MOD
That's fair.

I can report all clear here on Day 5. So that's good. If you are clarifying for posterity, I had some confusion over the procedure "raise the FC level up to the extra high mustard algae shock level for 24 hours".

I see 1 FC loss per hour in the spring during an overcast day. It would be higher than that during the summer in full sun. So, what would that even look like? Testing and dosing on the hour? That's 48 drops of reagent for 24 ppm FC even at the lower 10 ml sample level.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was at the MA level for approximately 12 hours the first night and then 12 hours the second. How is 24 hours harsher on the liner than 24 hours? That doesn't even make sense. These obvious contradictions and questions haven't been addressed, all I got was an appeal to authority. So maybe the TFP stone tablets need some re-chiseling.

I see where the confusion came in. It was thought you got the FC up to MA levels and kept it there a longer time than expressed in your last post. You did it just right according to your last post.
This - it was referred to as a few + days which is outside of the recommendations.
My solution is just to chlorinate to 24 and hold it there for 3-4 days and brush.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.