Retrieving the sample

Niteowl

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2020
Pinellas Park, Florida
Does anyone use any kind of tool to help you retrieve the water sample? from what I have read, I am supposed to retrieve the sample from about 17" below the surface. this requires me to get down on all 4 to do it. I am getting older and this is rough on the knees and sometimes hard to get back up. I have seen some type of pole that the jar can go on to retrieve it, does anyone use a tool for this?

Owl,

In the winter I just use a small PVC pipe.. Stick it in the pool and put my thumb over the end and pull it out. Taking the thumb off releases the water..

Not perfect as it leaks some, but it works to fill up my test bottle.

Thanks,

Jim R.

From @YippeeSkippy ...

If you want a simple easy to use way to get a good pool water sample out without touching the water yourself--> use a piece of 1/2 or so PVC like a pipette. I have a piece that's about 3 feet long that I use. I just thumb over the top end before putting it into the water, then release my thumb and the water displaces the air inside and I again cover the top end to "hold onto" my sample water as I remove the pvc tube and drop my sample into a big plastic cup. Just like you do with a soda straw, y'know?

I've been thinking of alternatives to "the dip" for the last couple of weeks. Just tried the straw. Works for me! I made the 1/2" CPVC straw 24" long to make it an easy drop from straw to sample bottle. Takes 3 or 4 dips for complete set of tests, but that's perfectly fine for me. Thank You @YippeeSkippy !

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.