Resurfacing during freezing temperatures

remodelpool

Mar 7, 2022
St. George, UT
Good morning,

I have a question regarding retiling and resurfacing (pebble bottom) our swimming pool during freezing nighttime temperatures. We are resurfacing our pool this week, and the chip out process is completed. The tiling is to start today, with the pebble finish to be done this Thursday and Friday. My concern is that our nighttime temperatures are going to be around 25 degrees F, and I want to make sure the low temperatures will not compromise the integrity of the new tiles/grout and pebble finish bottom. Does anyone know if the drop in temperature would affect the longevity of the newly remodeled pool? It’s a lot of money we are putting out, and I want to make sure it’s a smart idea to proceed with these temperatures.
Thanks for any input you have,

Annette :)

Annette,

The biggest pool mistake I ever made was having a pool resurfaced when the temperatures were too low. They used additional chemicals in the plaster to make it harden quicker and used propane torches to help the plaster dry. I had no clue that was bad.

It initially turned out ok, but as time went on, it became clear that the new plaster did not adhere well to the old plaster.

It is something that I won't do again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wireform
Annette,

The biggest pool mistake I ever made was having a pool resurfaced when the temperatures were too low. They used additional chemicals in the plaster to make it harden quicker and used propane torches to help the plaster dry. I had no clue that was bad.

It initially turned out ok, but as time went on, it became clear that the new plaster did not adhere well to the old plaster.

It is something that I won't do again.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I appreciate the reply Jim. I did not feel good about proceeding with the project with the low temperatures and asked the company to hold off for a few weeks. They were able to reschedule us, and we should have it completed in a couple weeks when temperatures should be mid 70’s during the day and mid 40’s at night. Hopefully, all will go well.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.