Restoring an abused and jury-rigged 42,000 gallon 1939 Architectural Marvel....So many questions

Ourmanflint1

Feb 27, 2023
Los Angeles
I'm in the middle of a remedial restoration of the above mentioned pool. We were going to do a full comprehensive remodel in the future, but have to do a quick cosmetic job because our house (and pool) is being used as a filming location for most of March. That said we though it might need a full replastering, but it turns out the concrete pool has has so many paint jobs that a sandblasting and high quality epoxy coating (studio paid for) might last a while longer than we originally thought. The pool itself is an engineering marvel. It projects from a grade and has two dressing rooms (with showers) and a bathroom underneath . The equipment is located in an adjacent basement. It needs a lot of plumbing. Right now only the bottom drain and a "Float Around" skimmer are in effect. The original "raceway" is outdated and mostly plugged. To add a wrinkle to the issue we had a light niche that was cemented over, upon prepping it for paint we found out that it was actually boarded up with WOOD and epoxied/coated with some sort of ancient adhesive. We thought we could install a new light/niche but unfortunately its 11" square! I have been unable to locate a NOS or even new square light. (why square?) See images. FYI that is not mold, it's old black paint.IMG_3776.JPGPeppergate Pool Remidel 2.jpgPeppergate Pool Remodel.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3786.JPG
    IMG_3786.JPG
    450.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Reactions: Kimmielea71
Let us know what production your pool stars in.

Best of luck with the remodel.

i love, love, LOVE those older pools. Look at that wonderful mid-century tile....please tell me you're keeping it?

We're not real jiggy about epoxy paints.... it *may* serve *your* purposes for time expedience, but they don't last like they used to. They've altered the properties of those old pool paints. :(

What about dropping a liner in there? Is that possible?

Can we see the equipment and dressing rooms, etc? Its got to be fabulous.

Maddie :flower:

At that age you could be dealing with cast iron piping … maybe copper pipes. Depends on the cost and who was paying the bills. Old cast iron pipe used lead based brazes to joint the pipes together. So you will want to do a thorough inspection of the plumbing as that could be something that needs remediation. PVC pipes did not come into accepted use until the 1980’s and even then some pool builders refused to use them.

At that age you could be dealing with cast iron piping … maybe copper pipes. Depends on the cost and who was paying the bills. Old cast iron pipe used lead based brazes to joint the pipes together. So you will want to do a thorough inspection of the plumbing as that could be something that needs remediation. PVC pipes did not come into accepted use until the 1980’s and even then some pool builders refused to use them.
The piping is cast iron and some has held up well and some is a hot mess. To be determined. Funny enough most if it is accessible in a wall gap downstairs between the dressing rooms and the pool wall. It's insanely engineered and super thick with beams and a drain floor . Southern California so freezing isn't an issue. But we'll need to fix the pipes. They've been bypassed along the perimeter.

What a pretty area!!! Love the bump out for the chairs! What Maddie said about the new paint is true. They just don't last as long BUT it could get you through the movie and the money you make off the movie could pay for a new plaster job!

I would LOVE to see pics of the whole thing!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.