Restoring a buried pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
The digging out by hand doesn't phase me. I like digging and I am looking forward to seeing what I uncover. Last winter in the span of 2.5 weeks, I dug out and moved about 18 cubic yards of soil and wrestled with many tree roots in my yard and I only had an old shovel and a bucket. I know this will take a lot longer, but I will make sure to get a new shovel and a wheelbarrow.
Why dont you just rent a backhoe bobcat? They are usually $500/day with delivery for most companies in my area, it is really easy to learn how to control it and you can be done in one day. You could also pay some guys to haul the dirt out

Why dont you just rent a backhoe bobcat? They are usually $500/day with delivery for most companies in my area, it is really easy to learn how to control it and you can be done in one day. You could also pay some guys to haul the dirt out

Because I like to dig. It would be good exercise. It would save money. It would be difficult to move the dirt to the correct place with heavy machinery - destroy deck, etc. I would avoid damages from digging with a machine. My use of the dirt for the other parts of the yard is best done gradually. I am not concerned with speed. Good enough reasons for me!

Because I like to dig. It would be good exercise. It would save money. It would be difficult to move the dirt to the correct place with heavy machinery - destroy deck, etc. I would avoid damages from digging with a machine. My use of the dirt for the other parts of the yard is best done gradually. I am not concerned with speed. Good enough reasons for me!
Good for you! let us know how it goes, we will be here for you!

Please keep us updated with a virtual photo diary if you wouldn't mind. You will be on my "hero" list for sure if you pull this one off and many of us will be rooting for you.
Love the enthusiasm and "can do" attitude.
Now, let's get digging over there. I for one, am very anxious to see water in that backyard. :mrgreen:
r.

I used to be the go to guy to hand dig tower bases for my other ham radio buddies (I did one for myself on the farm in Iowa as well). When I was about 15 years younger, in reasonable soil, yeah.. it can be done. Here in Arizona I'd need to supplement my digging with dynamite though and I'd get sore a lot faster now that I'm old. If you have reasonable soil there, it can be done. Be interesting to see the results over time.

Seem the big difference here is the pool was filled in. So thankfully he’s not working with virgin soil compacted for 100 years. Just 10–15 - haha.

• Haha
Reactions: Kellyp and Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hats off for wanting the excersize, first you need to secure a dump site for 6 to 8 dump trucks worth of dirt/soil.
You still need a bobcat type of front loader and possible a small portable back hoe.

How do you plan to get dirt out of a 6ft deep hole? Hand shovels will make this a multi year project.

Have you considered the option of a new pool or hire out a crew?

John

True. It should be much easier than the regular soil. And I'm a she. :)
Never be afraid to do a job by hand that scares the Crud out of others! I dug a sewer line out by hand that was wet sopping clay after I thought we fixed it the first time with an excavator. When I realized I had to dig through the neighbor's yard, I called a professional.

Attachments

• 20190509_162132.jpg
    20190509_162132.jpg
    631.3 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: bradyb
Hats off for wanting the excersize, first you need to secure a dump site for 6 to 8 dump trucks worth of dirt/soil.
You still need a bobcat type of front loader and possible a small portable back hoe.

How do you plan to get dirt out of a 6ft deep hole? Hand shovels will make this a multi year project.

Have you considered the option of a new pool or hire out a crew?

John

I plan to wheelbarrow it out of a dirt ramp (the length of which will be determined by the most efficient angle to extricate the wheelbarrow) which will be the last to be dug out. I expect it to take about a year. I have use for the soil (if it is decent) in my yard. I considered a new pool, but the location of the old pool is the best location. I am a fan of saving money and I see no need to hire out a crew when I can do it myself, when I want to do it myself.

So some rough calculations... I believe medium size pool would be bout 30,000 gal which equals 150 cu-yds. I would guess it would be a good day to remove, move and place 1 cu-yd per day figuring on the top 4' going relatively easy and the next 4'....... we'll not so easy.. So if you put in 3.5 days per week I think your 1 yr estimate should be close. That will be a tough push getting a wheelbarrow up a ramp from 8' below grade and you might even find 10' deep end..... You may need some type of conveyer as time goes on...

Reactions: Wobblerlorri
You said you can to do it yourself to save money, thats ok you will need lots of it to run the pool again! You will need new plaster ($10,000-$15,000), new equipment, probably new plumbing, electrical, lights and more. Plumbing requires some deep trenches around the pool and those can be shared with electrical conduit. To make this pool run again you are probably looking at a minimum of $20,000 unless you are superman and DIY everything. Might as well purchase a backhoe and sell it after you are done ?

Last edited:
You said you can to do it yourself to save money, thats ok you will need lots of it to run the pool again! You will need new plaster ($10,000-$15,000), new equipment, probably new plumbing, electrical, lights and more. Plumbing requires some deep trenches around the pool and those can be shared with electrical conduit. To make this pool run again you are probably looking at a minimum of $20,000 unless you are superman and DIY everything. Might as well purchase a backhoe and sell it after you are done ?

Thanks for the estimate. That is what I am guessing as well. I know some lights and electrical are still set up because one side of the pool with lights is about 2 feet above the ground. They kept those lights functioning and added an electrical outlet that will need to be moved. I have no idea if there is plumbing or what the condition is. We shall see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.