Austin TX
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Current pvc to pool equip is 1-1/2". Pump is shot, so need to replace. Stainless (American) DE filter is in decent shape, but can not find replacement gasket, so guess it'll have to be replaced also. This is going to mean a redesign of compact pool pump area (5x7?). Will not replace 1-1/2" pipes under deck or buried, but wonder if it'd be worth resizing to 2" between equipment & valves. FWIW: Not first time with pvc - we moved all of the equipment to current site from its original location 10+ years ago. Quite a few elbows, joints & valves for cleaner, solar & "bubbles".

d,

Welcome to TFP... a great resource for all your pool maintenance questions... :shark:

If you are re-plumbing with 2" because of some theoretical flow improvement, then I would vote no, as the difference is not worth the amount of work involved..

If you are re-plumbing with 2" because that will make it easier to plumb the pad using a uniform size, then I would go with the 2" plumbing.

I actually did that to a rent house pool.. All the in-ground plumbing is 1.5 inches while the pad is all 2". I could tell no difference in the operation of the system, but it made installing the new equipment (pump, SWCG, and filter) much easier.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for welcome. Been a lurker for a while.

Thinking about resize only for flow considerations. If I stay with 1-1/2", can probably reuse some valves, etc.

If your only doing the equipment pad it is completely pointless to go to 2", the short runs won't change the head loss, 30' of 2" versus 1 1/2, yes.

You are also adding a 2" - 1 1/2 bushing in the system which is a extra leak point, unless your equipment wants 2" then it don't matter where the bushing is.

Use unions on your pump and filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.