replastering.. not chipping out old plaster?

Sep 26, 2012
So.. I always thought they chipped out old plaster.. but he is telling me in my case they didn't need to.... anyone chime in on this? Pool is only 7 years old.. its quartz now going to mini pebble.... thanks so much

You can put a second layer of plaster over the first if the first layer has no adhesion problems and is in decent shape. Next time around you will need to do a complete chipout.

Reactions: Texgirl
What Allen said with the added comment it will cost more the next time due to having to chip out TWO layers of plaster.....pay some now and get a full chip out or pay even more down the road to chip out TWO layers.

One layer or two, I think chip out cost is the same. Chipping out 3/8” of plaster or 6/8” takes the same people and time.

Reactions: Texgirl
They need to be sure there are no "hollow" spots (delamination) and chip out the areas if there are. Then I would ask them if they intend to acid wash the old plaster surface and apply a bond coat before the new plaster.
they did say there were no delamination issues... I will ask about the acid wash.. thanks so much

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.