Replastered pool white areas

Stevepool

Jun 3, 2018
boca raton, florida
I had my pool replastered exactly one year ago, Florida Gem, double sky blue, while under the "start up period," I noticed 2, 3 inch white spots. The contractor said it maybe calcium, lets see if it goes away. Long story short, he never came back. About 6 months went by and we noticed something weird in certain areas of the pool, in certain areas the plaster felt "soft". This happened on the top step, so I drained the pool to below the step and now with no water the spot feels hard. In addition to the soft spots, I now have a numerous white areas in the pool but no nodules. I had Florida Gem come by and he said that there is calcium in the pool but refused to step onto the first step in the pool to feel soft spot. He says everything is caused by water chemistry and I should get it acid washed. I had 2 different pool companies come by and they said they didnt know if it would help. One said, it was soft white spotting caused by improper plastering and it cant be fixed. Any ideas.poolplaster1.jpgpoolplaster2.jpgpoolplaster3.jpgpoolpaster4.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

Your water chemistry has nothing to do with the white spots.

The cause is the mix of plaster during the plastering. Read…

Any idea on the soft spot on step but when I drained the pool to below the step, it feels solid.

That is what happens with a sponge when it is wet and soft or dry And hard.

Almost to the day, 1 year ago.
The soft spots showed up in August.

The Florida Gem rep refused to step into my pool to feel what I felt and said that the only way to see if their is a hollow spot or delamination is to drain the pool. With the top step exposed it feels solid.

I mean "hollow" feeling spots

What were the weather conditions on the day of plastering?

More calcium and other chemicals may be added to the plaster mix to accelerate curing in cold conditions. I do not recommend plastering when temperatures will drop below 50F.

On the steps it could be delamination or the gunite under it crumbling. No way to know what is going on unless you remove the plaster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What were the weather conditions on the day of plastering?

More calcium and other chemicals may be added to the plaster mix to accelerate curing in cold conditions. I do not recommend plastering when temperatures will drop below 50F.

On the steps it could be delamination or the gunite under it crumbling. No way to know what is going on unless you remove the plaster.
I live in south Florida, temps did not get below 50.

Did you read this?..

Drill out core samples of plaster from your pool, have a lab analysis done of the chemical composition of the plaster, try and get the manufacturer mix recommendations, try and prove they knowingly mixed the plaster wrong, hire an expert witness like @onBalance .

Overall not worth it considering lawyer costs, time and expense, and what you might recover.

Next time do these things…

Pool Plaster Tips for the Average Homeowner is a good place to begin reading about how to get quality plaster installation.

Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster There are proper steps to follow for the making of durable pool plaster. There are also improper practices that can lead to early deterioration, discoloration or other failures. Above is a ten-point checklist that will help achieve a lasting and discoloration-free plaster.

A Plastering 'Watch List' Taking control of the plastering process is within reach of any quality-oriented designer or builder, declares Kim Skinner. To help you on your way, he offers this step-by-step guide to managing what should happen on site before, during and after plaster application takes place

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.