Replaster vs Epoxy

arlomiller

May 19, 2019
Renton, WA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have an inground 12 x 40 x 5 feet deep gunnite pool with very little plaster left. It is in dire need of refinishing.

However, getting ahold of a contractor in the Seattle area has been exceedingly difficult. Most don't even return phone calls. I've only succeeded in getting 1 quote to replaster it, add some lighting, and add a motorized cover. Their bid:

Proposal: Drain pool and set up scaffolding as needed. Remove top plaster layer and verify all hollow areas are removed. Following deck removal by others, demo existing step area and spa to below new decking grade. Construct new wall to make pool rectangular. Modify beam and install new encapsulation track. Form and pour new automatic cover box floor. Strip tile and install new to waterline. Apply bond coat to pool surface. Apply (2) hand troweled layers of NPT Stonescapes Mini Pebble “Ebony” pool finish. Install automatic cover system. ………………………………………………………………………………..

$121,648.00 + Tax.

This proposal includes the following:
• All related prep work for job scope described above.
• Remove one layer of plaster.
• Visual inspection of entire pool/spa structure.
• Install new returns and VGBA compliant main drain covers on newly constructed dualdrain assembly.
• New U-3 pool skimmer.
• New pool plumbing to attach to existing. *This connection location TBD following deck removal. Included is a 50’ allowance for plumbing run. All plumbing pressure tested prior to new deck placement.
• (3) Pentair 5G Color LED Spa lights w/matching niches. Void existing niches.
• CoverStar Automatic cover System.
• Levelor automatic fill control.
• Spot tile on steps/benches to match (if desired).
• Start-up following customer filling the pool. Chemicals included

This proposal does not include the following:
• Any electrical (conduits/conductors), sewer, domestic water and/or gas connections.
• Cover box lids. This is to be performed by decking contractor under supervision by PoolPro.
• Cover box conduits and drain. • Cover box walls formed by PoolPro, poured by concrete contractor. Forms removed by PoolPro.
• Pool/spa decking, coping or deck drains.
• Concrete cutting or coring.
• Any trenching/backfilling.
• Any coping work.
• “Porta-Potty” if needed. All rental fees apply.
• Access to sewer or other suitable drain site.
• Refilling the pool.
• Any tile work unless described above.
• Any work related to underwater lighting unless noted above.
• Railings and/or associated anchors.
• Structural repairs revealed after work has begun.

$120,000 is a LOT more than I expected it this to be and seems a little bit crazy to me. Or a lot crazy. A couple of years of college tuition for my kids vs motorized cover, lights, and replastering for the pool .... its just really hard to justify

So, some ideas
1. Is this quote just totally bonkers? I suspect it is, but right now, everything in the Seattle area is incredibly bonkers, so it is also quite possible that this is the best price I can get.
2. I can forego the motorized safety cover. All my kids swim and we live in a pretty remote area. If someone breaks into the yard and drowns, I can just put a bullet in them and say they fell in the pool. No one would ever know. More seriously, we do have a fence all around the yard as well as a big scary shephard to keep coyotes, bears, and cougars away. So, the motorized pool cover really is a "would be really cool" feature, but not necessary.
3. If we forego the safety cover, we don't have to spend money to convert the pool from an L shape (steps) to a perfect rectangle.
4. So, then, refinishing it. Options for that?
- I get the impression that 10 years ago epoxy paints were actually pretty good, but now, due to environmental issues, they just don't last very long? Would I be looking at refinishing every 3 years or something? Several years ago I did a 2 part epoxy job on my garage floor. Prep work was insane, but I was REALLY happy with how it came out and it was tough as nails.
- Is DIY replastering feasible? I've done tile work before, that's the closest I've come to plastering. Would I be looking at a week of work? 2 weeks of work?

I have an inground 12 x 40 x 5 feet deep gunnite pool with very little plaster left. It is in dire need of refinishing.

However, getting ahold of a contractor in the Seattle area has been exceedingly difficult. Most don't even return phone calls. I've only succeeded in getting 1 quote to replaster it, add some lighting, and add a motorized cover. Their bid:

$120,000 is a LOT more than I expected it this to be and seems a little bit crazy to me. Or a lot crazy. A couple of years of college tuition for my kids vs motorized cover, lights, and replastering for the pool .... its just really hard to justify

So, some ideas
1. Is this quote just totally bonkers? I suspect it is, but right now, everything in the Seattle area is incredibly bonkers, so it is also quite possible that this is the best price I can get.
2. I can forego the motorized safety cover. All my kids swim and we live in a pretty remote area. If someone breaks into the yard and drowns, I can just put a bullet in them and say they fell in the pool. No one would ever know. More seriously, we do have a fence all around the yard as well as a big scary shephard to keep coyotes, bears, and cougars away. So, the motorized pool cover really is a "would be really cool" feature, but not necessary.
3. If we forego the safety cover, we don't have to spend money to convert the pool from an L shape (steps) to a perfect rectangle.
4. So, then, refinishing it. Options for that?
- I get the impression that 10 years ago epoxy paints were actually pretty good, but now, due to environmental issues, they just don't last very long? Would I be looking at refinishing every 3 years or something? Several years ago I did a 2 part epoxy job on my garage floor. Prep work was insane, but I was REALLY happy with how it came out and it was tough as nails.
- Is DIY replastering feasible? I've done tile work before, that's the closest I've come to plastering. Would I be looking at a week of work? 2 weeks of work?
Seems crazy to me... I would just get the pool replastered. Don't do epoxy paint never going to last as long as plaster.

A replaster for my pool was quoted at about $10k a few years ago. That’s just for reference.

All the other stuff you have in the quote might be an ok price considering all you had going on, it was almost like rebuilding a new pool so the price isn’t that surprising especially right now. Inflation is rampant and contractors are having a hard time keeping people working and prices for stuff is crazy high.

On the epoxy, it just doesn’t seem to last.

You are basically getting a new pool for that price.

Standard replaster should be anywhere between $10-25K from what I have seen. The problem is that most pool companies are swamped building new pools and have all the "service" or "rehab" type work on the back burner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.