Replaster and plumbing

gunnilstam

Mar 18, 2020
Novato, CA
Hey all, just bought a Northern California house half a year ago with a huge pool that needs - everything. Pump is from the 70s. Plaster from the 90s and cracking. It leaks. Filter probably from the 80s. The pool shed is falling apart but does the job. There is a solar heating system will that goes to the roof, I think it doesn’t leak but the valve & thermostat are from the 80s and dying so I can’t verify. Recently, I had a pool contractor come over and they estimated roughly 25 grand for plumbing and replaster. Without specifics on plaster type etc. I’d really like to invest in it and have my kids grow up with a beautiful (and working!) pool in the back yard, and I do agree to redo plumbing while I’m at it. Is this a good start? What else, at the very minimum, should be replaced initially, such as pumps, filters, or do I not need to worry about everything now? Do I need to choose what water type I want (salt or fresh)? While i make up my mind I’m having a pool guy keep the levels under control. Unfortunately I’m a little overwhelmed with house projects and not in a position right now to study all this in depth, although over time I hope I can. So I think what I need at this point is guidance on a starting point. Any thoughts or experiences you can share are much appreciated!
Cheers
Lars

1319B0A1-49CB-442E-95BD-393FB91FB5B4.jpeg

Lars, welcome to TFP.

Post some pics of your equipment pad and let us see what you have to comment on it.

You can do the plaster and plumbing and keep the existing pump and filter if it is working well.

A pool that uses a SWG is still a chlorine pool. The only difference is the source of the chlorine. A SWG can be installed at anytime although it si best to plan for where it will be cut into the plumbing to make the installation easier.

What you get a chance I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider getting your own pool test kit and start doing your own water chemistry testing.

Thanks! So the decision to go AWG should probably be made now, things will move around in the shed. Is AWG mostly personal preference, or also a major impact on maintenance? It’s a sand filter. Including photos of the pool equipment antiques I inherited from the previous owner;) the gas heater is no longer part of te equation, only taking up space. and yes, I will read up on chemistry, thanks for the link.

868FCF35-4DAD-4C91-B326-21C2C4830FAA.jpegCFF9CDDC-698B-4411-9B71-A41046C9B3FF.jpeg5F6DE7B8-DB73-4853-BCE0-5BE380BE0F20.jpegB463BB5B-E546-4B12-939F-9D1776728F71.jpegE9E2610D-E80E-480F-B6F5-8C374DA43E7E.jpeg33143963-D85D-49D7-A750-13A02DA1890B.jpegF8BAF574-08A0-4844-9312-7965A2F0BA55.jpegB0D5D87D-FFDC-42FE-8C92-61F1F299F1FD.jpeg30B814E1-8D05-4FFE-880C-8DF3E8BF12B4.jpeg

That equipment is going to need replacement sooner or later. It looks like you have a combination of PVC, copper pipes, and flex joints connecting things. It should really all be redone with PVC pipes.

You can do the equipment in a second phase after the pool, but who knows how long things will last. If your budget allows getting a VS pump, sand or cartridge filter, automation panel, and solar controller with all PVC pipes will set you up for a trouble free pool for many years.

Thank you both. Replacing equipment later is a good option to have, because, right, budget. Yes, the pool leaks and I need to top it up every two months or so. I have no idea which part is leaking;/. And, I was not going to pressure test since I figured that if I replace both plaster and all pipes, that should cover all bases?

It is easier to replace equipment while the pool is empty. You have a big job there, including replacing all the copper pipes. Just as I did 2 years ago. Your equipment looks even older than mine was. If you can handle it financially, I recommend doing it all at once.

Reactions: gunnilstam
Thank you both. Replacing equipment later is a good option to have, because, right, budget. Yes, the pool leaks and I need to top it up every two months or so. I have no idea which part is leaking;/. And, I was not going to pressure test since I figured that if I replace both plaster and all pipes, that should cover all bases?

Have you done the bucket test for leak detection?

Toping off every two months could be normal evaporation. When folks have leaks they usually have to add water almost daily.

Plaster and pipes is not the only places a leak can be from. The scope of your work has to include finding and fixing the leaks or the contractor can go right past wherever it is. Leaks can be from around your light or light niche, hydrostatic drain, around the skimmers, around tiles, etc. When you say plaster does that include replace tile and coping? Replace skimmers?

There are electric motors still running, that have been doing so, since the turn of the previous century, as long as the pump seals are good, the only reason to replace the pump, is that it is a single-speed and probably at the lower end of efficiency. A filter is basically a tank, as long as it's not cracked or leaking, and the laterals are good, there is no reason to replace it, should probably empty it, clean the sand and put the sand back in. Then again if your replacing everything else....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to point out that you need to be careful of details in quotes. To truly re-plumb the pool the deck will have to be torn up to access all the piping to the pool. Some may include this in the price with a patch job others may not. Older pools can have copper or steel piping and some have poly pipe. Hard to tell what you have currently

Yes, I agree we need to figure out where the leak comes from, to begin. I will do some detective work to trace the leak, thank you for the link, very helpful! I don’t think it’s evaporation - the level drops winter time with the vinyl cover on it. It also looks like the ground has shifted next to the pool, the concrete is displaced (photo), so something might be going on under there...

Attachments

• B6E8FDCE-AAD6-4D32-A4A2-1BB1B25637AC.jpeg
    B6E8FDCE-AAD6-4D32-A4A2-1BB1B25637AC.jpeg
    633.3 KB · Views: 30
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.