Replacing pump motor - Advice needed

The B2975 is 6.5/1.5 amps
The emerson is 6.5/1.3 amps

For all intents and purposes they are the same. The difference in cost on low will be pennies a month. Personally ... I know the century motors, darn things run forever. That would be my pick.

To be very precise - at .10 electricity and an 8 hour run time the B2975 is an extra $5.84 / year to run ... assuming both are at full load (never going to happen).

Either way - good on ya for doing your homework with a little help from us.

--Chris

I thank everyone here for all the help and information they provided.
Now I'm just trying to decid which route to go with all this information.

I called PoolSupplyWorld again to verify the fit of the two motors listed above (B2975 and EB2975), and the guy suggested I call Hayward first to verify all the parts I need.
So once I reached Hayward, they told me I just need to replace the motor and the impeller. My diffuser is rated for 1/2-2HP motors, so no change is needed there.

The part numbers they gave were:
Hayward SPX1607Z2MS The rep said this was their energy efficiant model.
Impeller SPX2607C

So it seems I now have a third motor in the mix, but I'm having trouble finding any information about it other than this; Motor, 1 H.P., Threaded Shaft, 2-Speed (Single Phase, 60 Cycle 230V)
*Update*
I found the motor listed on Amazon, and if the label is correct it reads; 1 HP / 1 SF / 3450/1725 RPM / 6.8/2.6 Amps / 56J FR.
So it seems this motor is slightly less efficiant than the other two, but how much does that translate to $$?

I thank everyone here for all the help and information they provided.
Now I'm just trying to decid which route to go with all this information.

I called PoolSupplyWorld again to verify the fit of the two motors listed above (B2975 and EB2975), and the guy suggested I call Hayward first to verify all the parts I need.
So once I reached Hayward, they told me I just need to replace the motor and the impeller. My diffuser is rated for 1/2-2HP motors, so no change is needed there.

The part numbers they gave were:
Hayward SPX1607Z2MS The rep said this was their energy efficiant model.
Impeller SPX2607C

So it seems I now have a third motor in the mix, but I'm having trouble finding any information about it other than this; Motor, 1 H.P., Threaded Shaft, 2-Speed (Single Phase, 60 Cycle 230V)
*Update*
I found the motor listed on Amazon, and if the label is correct it reads; 1 HP / 1 SF / 3450/1725 RPM / 6.8/2.6 Amps / 56J FR.
So it seems this motor is slightly less efficiant than the other two, but how much does that translate to $$?

Going to cost roughly 2x to run that motor on low, odds are it is the OLD Challenger 975 motor that is branded by hayward, they don't actually build motors. edit - I say that because of the 2.6 amp rating on low, that indicates an inefficient low side, while the 6.8 indicates an efficient high side. All of the older tech "efficient" motors were efficient on high and disregarded the low. The introduction of the B2xxx motor was the first shot at efficient high and low winds.

Pools supply world should have a "Go Kit" for your pump, that will have all of the o rings and seals.

It should be something like this:
http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Alad...ump-Series-SP-3000-and-SP-3000X/GO-KIT2-9.htm

Last edited:
Yeah PSW gave me that kit.
http://goo.gl/NiZOl5
I have to check, but I think I already have that from when I was going to replace my seals last year due to the leak that cause this whole mess.
*Found it, this is the kit I bought.

So I should stick with the Century B2975 or Emerson EB2975 for better low end efficiency? That was my first guess when I saw those numbers on the Hayward.

And everything with this should mount as long as I order the 56J Frame, and a 1 HP impeller?

Yeah PSW gave me that kit.
http://goo.gl/NiZOl5
I have to check, but I think I already have that from when I was going to replace my seals last year due to the leak that cause this whole mess.

So I should stick with the Century B2975 or Emerson EB2975 for better low end efficiency? That was my first guess when I saw those numbers on the Hayward.

And everything with this should mount as long as I order the 56J Frame, and a 1 HP impeller?

IMHO - Century B2975. I just don't know enough about emerson (which I think is a division of or was just purchased by US Motors). At then end of the day the pump has no idea what motor is pushing it.
Then the Hayward Impeller and the go kit. You should have everything you need as long as it is the 56J frame and the appropriately sized impeller.

Keep in mind that a 56J motor comes in two diameters and the Hayward direct replacement motor is a smaller diameter than the other two motors that you are considering. This means you will need to modify the motor support although I think the SuperPump has a removable motor support but you may want to double check before pulling the trigger.

Keep in mind that a 56J motor comes in two diameters and the Hayward direct replacement motor is a smaller diameter than the other two motors that you are considering. This means you will need to modify the motor support although I think the SuperPump has a removable motor support but you may want to double check before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for this extra bit of information. Where did you happen to locate that at? I didn't see it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have run to this issue before on the forum. Unfortunately, most sales sites don't show that dimension but you can just compare the pictures. The OEM motor body is smaller in diameter than the hole pattern. In the other two motors, the hole pattern is at the same diameter as the motor body. The SuperPump uses the smaller diameter motor and supports it in the back. Again, I think the support can be removed to accommodate the larger motor but you should check yours to make sure. Also, I think the manufactures have the actual diameter on their sites:

http://www.centuryelectricmotor.com/

http://www.usmotors.com/

I took the dive and went with the Emerson, a new seal kit and a 1hp impeller.
I did some more extensive research, and I know it's just a few pennies more savings a month, it was the only motor of the two they had in stock. My dad has also heard of Emerson motors, so that gave me some confidence in it as well.
I checked my Superpump mounting bracket and there is a little plastic tab on the back that can be removed to allow for larger diameter motors to be mounted, so If everything matches up, hopefully I can get this thing up and running this weekend.

I appreciate all the help I received. A big thank you.

So, I received my motor yesterday.
I test fitted it to the pump and all seems to be in order. but due to the weather I couldn't do much more with hooking it up.

Now i'm going to have to wire this up and know i'll need to add a switch. Currently my motor and pool light are hooked up with this 2 gang toggle. I'm not sure what switches are inside though.
My first thought was to find a 3 gang toggle like that, but I wasn't having much luck. So I thought I would run the light to a single toggle and use the 2 gang for the motor on/off and high/low.
Thoughts on that?

Also I think this switch is all I would need for the high/low switch on the motor, correct?

That is exactly how I was looking at hooking mine up before I settled on automation. Should do the trick.

You could just put the new toggle downstream of the existing on/off. Might be easier than rewiring the whole thing.

Chris

Well I was able to get everything installed on Saturday, and finally got things up and running Sunday.

Here are some pictures.

Now for my questions.
I've had it running on high for the past few days to get the pool clean from the first opening. When I switch the lever from high to low there seems to be a delay and the pump jerks and sort of spat water out around the seals. This to me seems wrong. Any suggestion on this?
Because of this I turned the pump off to switch to low.
If I switch from low to high, there is no delay and it does it without even noticing.
I followed this diagram for the wiring, and I'm wondering if it's wrong.

My second question is about the low speed. When I did test running the pump on low. It seemed to have an air pocket in the pump basket, which in turn was creating an air pocket in my salt cell. Is this normal when running on such a low speed, or do I have an issue elsewhere?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.