Replacing pump and filter

Swataz

May 23, 2013
Hauppauge, NY
OK, without going to too much detail, I need to for sure replace my current Hayward DE filter and possibly need to replace my aging pump as well.

Here is my question. I currently have a Hayward DE3620 and a 1.5 HP pump.

My pool holds approximately 26,500 gallons.

Should I replace with the same size filter and pump? For the size of my pool, is that size filter too small? Is it too small for 1.5 hp pump? For the sake of argument, assume I am going to get a single speed pump.

Thanks for any insights and advice you can give me.

I have a 15,000 gallon pool with a 2HP pump. Although, I have 1 MD, 2 skimmers, 8 returns, etc., with 2" plumbing. My system is very fast, even after the heater/SWG install. So for me, I would say that a 1.5 HP would have done the trick, even with a smaller sand filter. My sand filter is 350 lb. oversized.

One way I would gauge is how your pool behaved with the current set up. If you are getting great flow on the eyeball/return side, then you are fine. If not, then you may want to upgrade. Although, my friend has a pool with a lot of returns, spillover spa, etc. His 2HP pump, with the design is completely useless. You have to keep 1/2 the system shut down.

INYO Pools are great at answering questions. There are some members that understand pool systems slightly better.

Thanks for the reply! My system worked fine with the present setup before it went south.My only gripe is when I hook up the vacuum line to clean the pool. I have to put a gizmo into one of the skimmers to get maximum suction.

Assuming you do not have a diverter valve for the other skimmer. If you have a main drain, you can slow down or shut off the main drain as this will also create more suction. Instead of a Gizzmo, try a black expandable plug. You will not need to tighten that much.

I would say that your filter was on the small side and your pump perhaps on the large side? Hard to say as 1.5HP does not tell us enough. There are VERY different pumps that are both 1.5HP.

I would suggest a 60sqft DE filter or 300+sqft cartridge or 27+" diameter sand filter.
I would also recommend a 2-speed pump, likely a 1HP in the smaller pump line, like Superflo or SuperPump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.