Replacing pool filter

brunotg

Dec 1, 2021
Orinda, CA
I just finished rebuilding my pool entirely and i'm wondering if i should update the pool filter system.

I'll probably change the pool filter cartridges but the pool guy that will be doing the pool start up mentioned that this system is from 2006 and it should be updated as it may fail.

Do people tend to change the pool filter enclosure (dome?) regularly? i got quoted $1600 in the bay area for that.

with regards to the pool filter cartridge replacement, do you just put in place the new ones? or is there anything special to be done when replacing them?

IMG_6247.jpeg

Filters last a LONG time. So do cartridges, if they are maintained properly. Cartridges are easy to replace. May not be necessary. Have you inspected them? Cleaned them? If they are in good shape, no need to replace.

Were it I, I'd leave the filter, it is fine. I would inspect and clean the cartridges, and if they were in good shape, I'd continue to use them.

We have seen 30 year old pool filter housings still in good shape. So long as it’s not leaking, doesn’t have any cracks, isn’t brittle etc. you can just change the cartridges if needed. Being older doesn’t automatically mean it has to be/needs to be replaced.
Yours is in an enclosure & protected from the elements so it looks from the picture to be in decent condition.
There are some maintainable parts like the gauge that may need replacing if they aren’t functional.
Can you tell us exactly what filter you have? Model number & manufacturer

If you just want to upgrade that is understandable- we always suggest to go as big as you can afford and can fit in your space but it looks like you may have a finite space to work with so you may not get to reap the benefits of ending up with a larger filter.

Reactions: Kaylee34
I just finished rebuilding my pool entirely and i'm wondering if i should update the pool filter system.

I'll probably change the pool filter cartridges but the pool guy that will be doing the pool start up mentioned that this system is from 2006 and it should be updated as it may fail.

Do people tend to change the pool filter enclosure (dome?) regularly? i got quoted $1600 in the bay area for that.

with regards to the pool filter cartridge replacement, do you just put in place the new ones? or is there anything special to be done when replacing them?

View attachment 526230
You have a Pentair filter. It looks in good condition. Replace the cartridges and tank o ring as needed. Here in SoCal there's lots of those filters still in use

View attachment 526230
With that tank indoors, it will last many more decades, they don't just fail. Even outdoors, 17 years is nothing, really.
Mine, the same as yours, is at least 12 years old, in the Sun daily, and with a coat of paint now and then will last "forever." The Sun tends to deteriorate the gel coat of the tank. New cartridges for you and it is one of the few things that can be said to be really "as good as new."

Reactions: Mdragger88
With that tank indoors, it will last many more decades, they don't just fail. Even outdoors, 17 years is nothing, really.
Mine, the same as yours, is at least 12 years old, in the Sun daily, and with a coat of paint now and then will last "forever." The Sun tends to deteriorate the gel coat of the tank. New cartridges for you and it is one of the few things that can be said to be really "as good as new."
Agreed, those fiberglass tanks are good for 25 years at least

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.