Replacing polymer wall panel

btmansfi

May 5, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
Anyone ever replaced polymer wall panels? We bought this house in December and the pool was a mess. All equipment was shot. Liner needs replacing. Crappy 3' concrete deck. I went into this thinking I'd need new pump, filter, salt cell, control panel...all of which I can do myself. And a liner, which I would not attempt. I also was going to break out the concrete and get that redone.

While breaking out the concrete I noticed a corner section where the polymer wall corner piece is cracked. Looks like I am going to have to excavate and replace.

Wondering if this is something I can/should attempt or not. I have an account with a couple of pool supply shops and the corner piece looks like it's roughly $400. I also have an excavator and track loader so I have the equipment to do the job, just not the experience. Was quoted $5k for the liner replacement, which was before I knew about the crack on that panel. No telling what the cost would be including the wall panel replacement. Oh, and the buddy seat in the other corner has cracks in it so that will have to be pulled out and likely replaced with a 6' wall panel.

rwg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Following. Hopefully some of the pool pros on here will be able to give you advice.

Usually there is concrete poured behind the walls locking them into place. I'm not sure how you'd manage to get that wall section out.

It could probably be reskinned, Not uncommon on steel wall pools. I doubt you could replace the entire corner since the structure is probably entombed in concrete. Getting the old one out would probably snowball into many other issues.

If the structural framing is okay, should be able to remove the old skin, do a little digging, put on a new skin and backfill. Another option would be to just put a steel or stainless steel sheet over it. Not sure if this is acceptable or the right way to go about it. The walls usually have foam on them so you probably would not even see it.

It could probably be reskinned, Not uncommon on steel wall pools. I double you could replace the entire corner since the structure is probably entombed in concrete. Getting the old one out would probably snowball is to many other issues.

If the structural framing is okay, should be able to remove the old skin, do a little digging, put on a new skin and backfill. Another option would be to just put a steel or stainless steel sheet over it. Not sure if this is acceptable or the right way to go about it. The walls usually have foam on them so you probably would not even see it.
The walls are polymer, basically plastic. How would you "reskin" that?

I was thinking I'd need to cut out the footing on that panel (maybe a little into the next), remove the panel, replace the panel, and repour that section of footing and backfill.

Is the enter corner section plastic? I have seen ones where the structure is metal and the wall is just a sheet of plastic attached to the metal framing.

I guess your pool walls are like this with structure molded into the panel.

fish-walls-02.jpg

I would be concerned that if you removed the damaged section that the new one might not fit (too small, too large, doesn't align, etc). If you could get the new panel and take of bunch of measurements and maybe make some templates to see if it will fit you could check before doing demo and get a better idea of what you would be in for. Im guessing the panel is not returnable either. Being that it's a corner section I think you would have wiggle room getting it in. If the new is a bit oversized I don't know how much shaving down could be done to make it fit. Too small the edges could be skimmed. I guessing you could make it fit and basically use is a concrete form that you leave in place.

The challenge I forsee is is removing the old concrete and not causing any addition damage. Wet saw might be a better option that jack hammer. Some digging will give you an idea of how challenging it might be.

I was thinking perhaps excavate a little behind the panel and then see if I can epoxy some sort of support behind it and to both sides of it to bring it back together. My only concern is that it cracked at the corner seam, and I am worried that if that were to recrack and push outward, it would tear the liner. Some foam on the inside would help but not sure if it would prevent it from tearing.

Related but possible dumb question. The liner was shot when we bought the place but I have left it as-is until we get someone in to replace it. There isn't much water in the pool. Pretty much the deep end is full and none in the shallow end. It's been that way for probably 5+ years before we bought it. Would I be doing any harm by removing the liner completely and having the pool surface exposed for 2-3 weeks? Right now there are a couple of tears so if it rains, water is going to get behind the liner anyway. Just not sure if my pumping the little bit of water in the deep end out, and removing the liner, will do any more harm. Kind of want to get my eyes on it to see what else we may be dealing with.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.