May 28, 2021
New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
I recently moved to a house that has a nice oasis shaped gunite pool/spa, the pool seems to be installed in 2002 and all equipment are original except the heater that was dead and I replaced it with Pentair MasterTemp 400.

A few weeks before closing my pool in Dec , the main pump started to make a screeching noise that seemed to be from bearings. It's an old AO Smith from 2001 the plate says model 177451-3 but the HP and SF are blank,see the photo. There is another label on top of the pump that reads 2HP 1.1SF.

The pool plumbing is kind of weird. The pump runs both the pool (26000 gallons) and Spa (600 gallons), and has a Jandy valve right after the pump before the DE filter that can divert some of the water to pressure side cleaner (the pool controller clean button runs the pump and turn the jandy valve 30 degree to divert some of water to a pressure side pipe which I never used).

There is also another separed old pump (AO Smith 177449-03) that runs the waterfall. That pump has no noise and runs well.

What kind of pump do you recommend for replacement of the noisy pump? Should I just replace the motor or the whole pump?

Also, I am thinking of upgrading the old equipment one by one. Like get variable speed pump but I would then need to upgrade my CP-3800 controller.

Also, right now the pool heater doesn't have a bypass/check valve, should I worry about damaging the heater when opening the pool in the Spring with unbalanced water?

For pool cleaning I use the suction side Zodiac MX8 but I have to manually coonect it to a skimmer. Should I switch to a pressure side solution instead, or go with standalone robatic cleaners?

Sorry for all the questions.

Welcome to TFP :)

If the pump itself is still working good and no leaks then I would suggest a rebuild kit and a new VS motor to replace the old motor.. The V Green 1.65 motor is what I went with and should be a really close fit for your pump... I would call Inyo pools and make sure..

I think this is your pump.. American Products Ultra-Flo Parts - INYOPools.com

V Green motors > Variable Speed Pool Pump Motors - INYOPools.com

I hope this helps :)
Thank you for the info
I opened up the pump, screws are rusty due to elements over 20 years. I looked at the impeller it's 390052 which googling shows 1.5HP. I'm confused because the label on the motor says 2HP and 1.1 SF. Doesn't that mean 2.2 THP?

Also if I get the V series pump you linked, would it work with CP-3800 controller if I get the upgrade kit?

Those are questions for Inyo.. I have no idea.. If that pump is 20 years old I would probably go with a new pump and something that is compatible with your automation.. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.