Replacing old 2.0 HP Challenger Pump with Pentair superflo VS Variable Speed Pump 1.5HP

PatD25443

Jul 30, 2021
Shepherdstown WV
Hi all my old 2.0 HP Challenger single speed pump for my approximately 22k gallon saltwater pool died on me and needs replacing. I took pics and send it to our local Pentair dealer and got this response:

Pat,
Looks like you have a Challenger pump. That can be replaced with a Pentair superflo VS Variable Speed Pump 1.5HP. Cost would be $1,399.00 plus
labor charges of $250.00. Service could be done on Monday if you prefer. We do have the pumps in stock as we are Pentair dealers.

I know they’re charging more than if I ordered off Amazon and installed it myself etc and don’t care about that. I’m just happy to have it done so quickly.

Here’s my question though: i forgot to mention that I have a Paramount infloor cleaning system and now I’m worried that what I’m getting won’t do the job. That’s the only “extra” that I have on the pool. For context, I run the current pump (or ran it until it died) about 8-10 hours a day and the pool has been perfect. (I also have a robot but barely use it.)

Thoughts? Obviously I’ll call the dealer again in the morning but they’re closed today (Sunday).

Pat,

My unscientific approach is that I like larger VS pumps that you can run slower if you want. If the VS pump is too small you can't run it any faster.

The slower you can run it the less it will cost and the quieter it will be.

Cost is the only downside of going big.

The current problem is supply and demand. IntelliFlo pumps are hard to come by.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The new WhisperFlo VST would be more appropriate. Higher THP of 2.6hp.

They are available at some suppliers. Check with your supplier. Price is just marginally higher than the price they quote for the Superflo. At least at the other suppliers.

Thanks for the quick replies. I understand all of the points being made, and of course I will see if the dealer has the other suggested pumps in stock. My question though is if they can’t will the pump being installed do the job? I don’t think the infloor cleaner needs to run more than a couple hours a day . . .

Again, not a money issue - a functional issue.

Thanks again.

Hard to say. Flow rate will be less with the Superflo. What was the THP of your old pump? That would be nameplate hp times the SF.

Ok thanks. I’m a total novice and have been relying on the dealer. I guess I need to follow up and make sure the superflo will work. As I said I do have a robot but I like the way the infloor system has been working and I’d hate to effectively disable it by getting a new pump that isn’t strong enough. I just keep thinking that the new pumps must be much more efficient and maybe don’t need as much HP. The one I’m replacing is likely 14 years old.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all. Just to follow up I went back to the local Pentair dealer today and they insisted even after I told them about the infloor cleaning system that the Pentair superflo 1.5 HP is more than adequate to do the job. Before going I did the best I could to calculate the size of the pool (it’s real irregularly shaped) and came up with 18-20k gallons. There’s no skimmer according to the docs I have describing the pool (which prior owners installed in 2008) and It’s a Paramount 6-valve infloor cleaning system. The current 2.0 HP pump is 14 years old and did a more than adequate job before quitting on me so I’m just gonna take them at their word that the superflo will work. Thanks everyone fingers crossed!

Reactions: mknauss
Hi all, just to follow up the pump has been installed and it looks like everything including the infloor cleaning system is working perfectly. The guys who installed it programmed it to run 23 hours a day at 2600 RPM, which of course isn’t variable and largely defeats the purpose of a variable system, but they said in their experience it works better this way with a saltwater system and that it’ll still save a lot on the electric bill even though I only ran the one speed (3450 RPM) for 10-12 hours a day and I’m not going to argue with them.

I really appreciate everyone’s help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.