Replacing Multiport Valve, Sand Filter too?

A top mount Hayward 244T is only $279 shipped on Amazon right now.

I saw that and it was tempting! Ended up going with the S270T. If I were open year round I would have gone larger say, up to a 31" filter but being a 4-5 month per year pool a 27 should be plenty to clear my pool fairly quickly and not have to backwash all that often. If I have to do it once a month after getting open, no big deal.

Getting some of the HTH brand pool sand (300 lbs.!) for a decent price locally.

Now I just have to plan out my plumbing!

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions. :lovetfp: If anyone has any pearls of wisdom on installing plumbing from pump, to filter, to heater, they are appreciated!

... and now my switch to turn the pump on and off is not working. At least I hope it's just the switch.

Having an electrician to come sort things out and see what's going on. Either way I'm going to have a timer installed on the pump (hopefully not a new pump). I've read great things here on the Intermatic Mechanical Timer. Should I go mechanical or electronic? Timer will be mounted outdoors within an outdoor rated box. Southwest corner of home, so plenty of sun in the summer, has to hold up through the winters. Either way, I'd probably put some insulation inside the box during winter when pool is closed. Thoughts on electronic vs. mechanical?

Either way I'm going to have a timer installed on the pump (hopefully not a new pump). I've read great things here on the Intermatic Mechanical Timer. Should I go mechanical or electronic? Timer will be mounted outdoors within an outdoor rated box. Southwest corner of home, so plenty of sun in the summer, has to hold up through the winters. Either way, I'd probably put some insulation inside the box during winter when pool is closed. Thoughts on electronic vs. mechanical?

I wouldn't put insulation in the boxes. Not sure of the benefits of an electronic one is unless there's certain days you expect you'll always need more run time, or it comes with a wind sensor so your pump runs when the wind is blowing leaves off the trees. If you have a pool heater and don't want to winterize your pool, a thermostat that monitors the water temperature could be a nice feature. I think mechanical ones only monitor air temperature.

I use an Intermatic mechanical timer. I don't know how old it is but I've owned the house for 3 years now and I haven't had any issues. If you need extra trippers, you can get the plastic ones for $0.24 per set but the metal ones cost between $0.19 and $5.80 a set depending on the model.

Thanks for the replies.

I have minimal problems with leaves. Mostly evergreens near the pool and I'll close the pool for the winter before the leaves fall.

No way I'd keep it open in the winter, unless I won the lottery and kept it heated through a MN winter. ;)

Looks like mechanical is the best choice. My electrician wants to charge me 200 for the model I can get with enclosure for 120 myself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Removed old sand filter today. Anyone need a redneck flower pot?
e7u5e9aj.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well... that's just great. Seems I can do no right these days. Those sweeps are DWV not schedule 40.
Arrrrrrrgh. Guess who just blew 3 hours and $100 of PVC? THIS GUY. All because I saw the sweep style and thought they'd be great for less turbulence in the bends.

There have been a few posts about using DWV and saying it lasted many many years without issue. If you do not feel like messing with it now, you could try to leave it and keep an eye on things.

Any chance it say sch 40 on it? Seems like some of it has the higher rating.

If you are going to re-do it, you should at least be able to reuse the unions (which I know are not cheap) and some of the pipe as well. Looks like you only need to replace 6 90s and 2 of the threaded bushings and maybe add 5 feet of pipe with a few couplers.

No SH 40 anywhere on it. Does say dwv though. Actually only have to do 4 90 and 1 union (2 halves). 2 of the 90 are sch 40. I'd rather do it now when my pump is down anyway.

I like learning but learning the hard way stings at first.

Turns out one of the regular 90s also said dwv with no indication of schedule 40 so I replaced all 6. A few feet of pipe and a few couplers and almost done. Also replaced one of the 90s with 2 45s. :) Darn rain delayed and now too dark.

Last question I have is... I have to join to previously installed flexible PVC. I had to remove my last coupler to it with this redo and it was way too easy to spin it free. Tips on making a good connection to flexible PVC?

Also tempted to replumb flexible PVC runs... Maybe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.