Replacing Jandy LXI 400 - Looking for thoughts on best brand to buy

macdenewf

Oct 27, 2012
Spring, TX
Good day.
Was having some issues with my pool heater not coming on consistently. Decided to do a through inspection and turns out that my unit is pooched.
The sight glass / view port has fallen out. That view port screws into the main assembly of the heater and it looks like the threads have corroded and didn't have enough purchase to remain in place. Glad i inspected it as there was heat damage with a couple of plastic parts in there melted....so probably not safe to use as is. I could probably put a bull plug in there and completely leave out the sight glass...its probably a matter of time before something else rusts out.
Sadly - the place where the sight glass screws into is the main body of the heater and Handy doesnt sell that as a discrete part. and the heater is 9 years old in a salt water pool....so its lived a useful life.

The replacement for the LXI is the JXI.
I wanted to ask a couple of questions

- As i have a Jandy pool controller...do i need to buy a Jandy heater....or can i use another brand?
- will another band connect directly to my controller or are there any programming / electrical configurations needed?
- If i can buy a different brand - any thoughts on a good reliable heater?

28000 Gallon in ground Salt water pool with Spa.
1 Filter pump, 1 water feature pump, 1 booster pump
Jandy RS pool controller ( does not have the aqua link )
Jandy PDA

Pretty certain the pool heater is configured in TSTAT mode ( what ever that is )

Appreciate any thoughts on a good replacement.
Thanks in advance
Mac
Houston Tx

Any pool heater will work with your Aqualink using the standard 2 wire "firemans switch".

Jandy, Pentair and Hayward gas heaters are all pretty much the same using similar forced draft design.

You can flip a coin between the Jandy JXI or a Raypak gas heater.

No one heater is demonstrably more reliable. 9 years is a decent heater life.

Any pool heater will work with your Aqualink using the standard 2 wire "firemans switch".

Jandy, Pentair and Hayward gas heaters are all pretty much the same using similar forced draft design.

You can flip a coin between the Jandy JXI or a Raypak gas heater.

No one heater is demonstrably more reliable. 9 years is a decent heater life.

No complaints on the life of the jandy. I can’t say it’s been super reliable over the years but it is certainly a well recognized brand. I found a deal from a local Pool guy to do a complete swap and install with a jandy JXI 400 for 3150 plus tax. That’s cheaper than I can buy the unit on line and swapping it myself. He might even come today and to the swap.
I have a few neighbors with LXIs still. Going to keep the older unit snd remove anything thst looks in good shape ( boards and anything thst wasn’t in contact with the salt water ) and keep the parts in case anyone needs them for their units.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.