Replacing a 1.5HP pool pump with a variable speed pump

CathyF

May 20, 2023
Boston, MA
Hi -
I'm hoping that you can help me out. I have a 10 year old pump (Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro 1.5hp, Model P6RA6F-206L) which needs repairs or replacement. I preface the discussion with the fact that I currently don't have a pool service company to call as our old one was terrible and they decided to require full weekly servicing to remain a client.

My husband and I opened our pool and our pool pump was leaking like a sieve, inconvenient as our equipment is all in our pool room in the garage. We took the pump apart and checked/lubricated the O ring and Gasket. We attempted replacing a shaft seal which smoked and burnt and damaged the impeller in the process. It also looked like the diffuser is cracked. I could get a new impeller, diffuser, Pentair Quick Kit w O ring gasket and shaft seal and attempt more repairs. But, our pump is 10 years old, was making a bit of noise at the end of last year, and is costly to run. I've researched whether there is a drop in replacement for my pump without changing the plumbing lines and I can't find one. The best that was recommended by Pentair was the Intellipro 3 VSF 1.5HP (Model 013065). I'm happy to make that upgrade as it should be more energy efficient. But, I'm confused about updating the controller. Our current controller for five pieces of equipment is an Intermatic Manual Clock. Pentair indicates that it won't work with the new pump and recommended the Intellicenter lite Model 523448 (5 relays / wifi and works w an app). Adding the automated controller is rather costly (with quick searches as I'm still trying to get a quote) and looks like it might not be a project we can't do on our own (prime pool time in the northeast so finding someone to come out is difficult). Is there another work around with our current setup? Can we install the Intellipro 3 VSF 1.5HP and connect the heater and vacuum booster pump directly to the Intellipro and run our filter and UV light using our existing Intermatic Manual Clock - setting them on the same time schedule but having the not integrated on the same automatic system? There would be a chance of a power outage that results in them not coming on simultaneously.

I did look into getting and Intermatic Clock that works with the Pentair variable speed pump (cheaper than the Pentair automated clock)but from what I see they require Cat 5 at the location that we're installing the clock and we don't have Cat 5 in our garage.

Another option - can I get my plumber to install the new Intellipro 3 VSF Pump and connect it to my Intermatic Manual Clock for the time being until I get someone to come out and install and automatic controller? I believe that Pentair indicated that it would essentially work like turning the pump on and off with a circuit breaker. My assumption is that the pump would just come on full speed each time and I could then adjust it with the app on my phone. Just a stop gap until I can get someone to install the Intellicenter Lite (we do have a basic pool so the automation is a bit overkill).

A last option is buying the new Sea-Rite Max-E-Pro. It is a single speed pump but only 1.1HP. The plumbing would need to be adjusted but I believe that it would work with our existing Intermatic Manual Clock. I shy away from this as the last few years the water flow in our pool has seemed quite low and I would like the benefits of a variable speed pump if I'm purchasing a new pump (I think it's about a $300 difference in price to the Pentair VSF).

If you have any suggestions of a cost effective work around that would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Cathy

Cathy,

If you want an automation system, no problem.... but, you don't seem to have anything that really 'needs' an automation system.

It sounds to me that if you got an IntelliFlo3 with relay card, it could do most of what you want. You'd have app control of pump run times and speeds as well as two relays to use for external devices.

You best best is to just turn off your UV light as it is really more marketing than it is a tool to keep your water sanitized. :mrgreen:

It would not be a full automation system, but it would be a step up from what you have today, for just the cost of the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Cathy,

If you want an automation system, no problem.... but, you don't seem to have anything that really 'needs' an automation system.

It sounds to me that if you got an IntelliFlo3 with relay card, it could do most of what you want. You'd have app control of pump run times and speeds as well as two relays to use for external devices.

You best best is to just turn off your UV light as it is really more marketing than it is a tool to keep your water sanitized. :mrgreen:

It would not be a full automation system, but it would be a step up from what you have today, for just the cost of the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim - Can I continue to use my Intermatic Manual Clock to turn my filter and UV light on and off since the IntelliFlo 3 only has the ability to interface two other pieces of equipment? I assume that the vacuum booster pump needs the main pump running and the heater would need a pump running (although it might have an auto shutoff) was was thinking those could connect to the IntelliFlo/Pro. I guess the risk is that the filter could come on when the pool pump is off. Does that burn out the filter? It's really just in the event that there's a power outage and I'm not home.

I guess the risk is that the filter could come on when the pool pump is off
Cathy,

I have no clue what that means.. :scratch: Your 'filter' just cleans the water and is not connected to any electricity. Your 'pool pump' just sucks water from the pool and sends it through the filter to be cleaned and then the water is returned to the pool.

I think what you are calling a "filter" is really your main pool pump, which would be the new IntelliFlo3. You could use one of the relays to turn on your UV light and the other relay to turn on your vacuum booster pump. This would all turn on and off via the pump's internal timer and your app.

Your heater won't work if the pump is not running so you don't even need a timer for it, but could use a timer if you wanted.

I assume you have a timer that turns your Main pool pump on and off.
I assume you have a timer that turns your Vacuum pump on and off. (Turns on the vac only when the main pool pump is on)
I assume you have a timer that turns your UV on and off. (Turns on the UV only when the Main pool pump is on)

What else do you have timers for???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Cathy,

I have no clue what that means.. :scratch: Your 'filter' just cleans the water and is not connected to any electricity. Your 'pool pump' just sucks water from the pool and sends it through the filter to be cleaned and then the water is returned to the pool.

I think what you are calling a "filter" is really your main pool pump, which would be the new IntelliFlo3. You could use one of the relays to turn on your UV light and the other relay to turn on your vacuum booster pump. This would all turn on and off via the pump's internal timer and your app.

Your heater won't work if the pump is not running so you don't even need a timer for it, but could use a timer if you wanted.

I assume you have a timer that turns your Main pool pump on and off.
I assume you have a timer that turns your Vacuum pump on and off. (Turns on the vac only when the main pool pump is on)
I assume you have a timer that turns your UV on and off. (Turns on the UV only when the Main pool pump is on)

What else do you have timers for???

Thanks,

Jim R.
Too funny, I didn't know that filters weren't connected to power and that the pump pushed the water through. Our singular manual clock/controller turned all of our equipment on and off automatically. So I guess I can connect the heater and booster vacuum pump to the intelliflo/pro so it will turn them on/off and leave my UV light connected to the manual clock/controller to turn that on and off. Thank you so much for working through this with me as I'd prefer not to spend the extra money on the automated controller if I don't have to do so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.