Replacement Pool Project

Re: Above Ground Pool Electrical

Split by mod from HERE. jblizzle

I am looking at my new pump since this post is making me wonder about my existing wiring with my replacement pool project. On my new pump, it says AMPS 15/4.4. Does this mean starting /running or since it is a 2 speed pump does it mean high/low speed amperage?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pool is up

Finally the day came to have the new pool erected. Crew of 3 did it in 3.5 hours from pulling up to the house to pulling back out of the driveway. I was able to re-use all the old blocks for the new pool, so I was able to save on those. We added another 2 CY of fine mason sand to replace loss from the last 16 years. The install seems easy enough, just a lot of screws. Next up for me is getting the hard piping of the filter and heater all finished this weekend. Gas line is being installed Monday morning for the heater.

Some pics of the install:

m9pqoz.jpg

358s7zo.jpg

qJMFVXi.jpg

tMNGMDS.jpg

3XKq2kV.jpg

BD0jogr.jpg

Water and Hard piping

The water has come up and the hard piping is complete. Now to have the gas line run and connected to the heater. I have the pump circulating and am trying to learn the TFP method as I balance the water.

fWzcx1L.jpg

a0EiLRS.jpg

Bj6BC2i.jpg

aN8Pylo.jpg

It is all piped with PVC. I added an additional inlet hole about 20" from the top of the pool wall, below the skimmer. This inlet and the skimmer go to a 3-way Jandy valve, then to the pump, filter, and on to the heater. After the heater I used a Jandy check valve, then into an automatic chlorinator (to use if ever need....I had it laying around at home). Out of that, through a shut-off and back into the pool through the Aqualuminator light. Pretty easy to do, just took a little thinking and planning.

Have to do some backfilling around the pool and some turf restoration, but waiting for the gas line guy to finish the last mess.

Just a note, all those fitting you used are DWV fittings which are not pressure rated. Standard practice is to use schedule 40 PVC fittings/pipe.
I would be most concerned about the fittings right after the heater.

Why did you not use rigid pipe on the pump to filter line?

I would also suggest putting something under that 3-way to help support it.

Just a note, all those fitting you used are DWV fittings which are not pressure rated. Standard practice is to use schedule 40 PVC fittings/pipe.
I would be most concerned about the fittings right after the heater.

Why did you not use rigid pipe on the pump to filter line?

I would also suggest putting something under that 3-way to help support it.

I used what I had on hand, honestly didn't even think about SCH 40 vs DWV. I will have to swap the fittings out when I can. Thanks for the tip.

This use is pretty low pressure, so you may not have a problem. I probably would not switch them out until problems developed, if they ever do.

Glad jblizzle broke you the news before I did! :cool: But as Jason said, I'd just let the fittings be. You likely won't have a problem and if you do, then you can make the replacement then.

The filter is reading 18 PSI when running on high, so I figured it as a low pressure situation. I know SCH 40 is good to like 140 PSI, but seems overkill. I will keep an eye on it for sure, thanks for the thoughts all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Plumbing looks good but I would be weary of the fittings, I am from the ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure crowd. You would be sick to your stomach if a joint let loose and you smoked you pump because of a $3 fitting emptied your pool below the skimmer and you weren't there to catch it. Look at the correct fittings next time your at the hardware store, there's more sleeve for the pipe to slide into. I am getting ready to hard pipe mine as well and had to google what everybody uses, its the same stuff they use for sprinklers.

Gas Line

Had my gas line installed this week. A 1" PE line from the meter roughly 75' to the heater. Guy used a Vermeer plow and trench combo machine, so once he got it started, it easily slight the soil and pulled the pipe in. Not a ton of restoration needed. Anyone in Chicago looking for a guy, PM me. This guy was reasonable, and I know that estimates can be all over the map.

Now to just get some warmer weather (frost warning this weekend....REALLY!?!?) and tweaking the pool chemistry.

G1iExRN.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.