Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I've had mine since I built the pool 12 years ago I think. Yesterday while spraying algae out of it, my wife handed it back to me broken. :cry: The shaft where it goes into the pole just completely broke. Now, it's not beyond me to attempt fixing this...but that's for later. ;)

In the meantime, I've seen comments that the whale brush you can buy now is not the same. Looking at pictures that does seem to be the case, which is a bummer. I called a local store and they said they have the sweepease and it's just as good. Of course everything is relative but here's my question: comparing the currently available wall whale to the sweepease, can anyone offer any thoughts? I've seen some other discussions but not sure I saw that distinction - seems the comparisons were to the original.

So I've had mine since I built the pool 12 years ago I think. Yesterday while spraying algae out of it, my wife handed it back to me broken. :cry: The shaft where it goes into the pole just completely broke. Now, it's not beyond me to attempt fixing this...but that's for later. ;)

In the meantime, I've seen comments that the whale brush you can buy now is not the same. Looking at pictures that does seem to be the case, which is a bummer. I called a local store and they said they have the sweepease and it's just as good. Of course everything is relative but here's my question: comparing the currently available wall whale to the sweepease, can anyone offer any thoughts? I've seen some other discussions but not sure I saw that distinction - seems the comparisons were to the original.
SweepEase has no moving parts to break.

FWIW, I'm very happy with my SweepEase (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRTY2H6/). It's solidly built, and its molded-in deflector keeps the brush pressed firmly against the walls and floor, although unfortunately I can't compare its performance to the Wall Whale's flap because I've never used the WW.

That's the one I have too. While I can't compare it to the wall whale brush, it is light years better than a standard brush. Soo much less effort and easier to brush the pool with the SweepEase brush.

Reactions: doncaruana
The first pic looked weird. I agree. The next few were exactly what I had 10 years ago.

Screenshot_20230522_192527_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230522_192518_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230522_192514_Chrome.jpg

The pool company that installed my pool left a good quality brush that I never used because I had bought a wall whale. My whale brush broke in the same spot as yours so I just screwed the whale tail to the other brush. It fit perfectly.

The pool company that installed my pool left a good quality brush that I never used because I had bought a wall whale. My whale brush broke in the same spot as yours so I just screwed the whale tail to the other brush. It fit perfectly.
Interesting...I'll have to look closer tomorrow...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If I remember correctly I used the new brushes hole layout and drilled out the Whale Tail with new longer screws. I can check when I get home in a few days....
I did the same when my original wall whale brush started losing bristles. I now have it on a stainless brush.
I also lost the adjustable stop clip thing over the years. At some point I need to try to model it and 3d print a new one.

OK...here are some pics of my venerable old brush...I measured it and the blue base is 19.5 inches long and 3.75 inches wide. That bristle fan is 5 inches after it spreads out. I have no idea how that compares to what they sell now, but I do get what you guys are saying about screwing the fin to another brush now. You also can see in these pictures where it broke (on the stem).

One of the concerns I've read in reviews for various brushes is the bristles coming off. For the sweepease, the "new" wall whale, or any replacement brush with fin transferred, does anyone have any feedback on bristles or even a recommendation? I have a vinyl liner, so stainless would be out! :ROFLMAO:

IMG_20230523_073844.jpgIMG_20230523_073853.jpgIMG_20230523_073904.jpgIMG_20230523_073920.jpgIMG_20230523_073938.jpgIMG_20230523_074024.jpg

Thought I'd revisit this and provide some info for people. I decided to give the SweepEase a try and it came yesterday and I tried it out. This after a failed repair on the old wall whale. :)

First, it does indeed seem to hug the wall, floor, etc as well as the wall whale. Or at least close enough not to make much of a difference to me. Definitely easier to use. And the one thumb release thing is pretty cool and works well. And I do like that the stem is actually metal, hence avoiding the catastrophe I had with the whale.

What was striking to me is the difference in size. Although the sweepease is shorter by about an inch and a half, that's not really a big deal to me. But the side by side, comparing the compact bristles of the sweepease with the fan of the whale surprised me. The question I'm asking myself (or anyone that wants to answer) is "what does that 'fan' of bristles really buy me anyway?"

top_view.jpg
side_view.jpg
bottom_view.jpg

Wow. My wall whale had a normal set of bristles instead of the double wide. Maybe I bought 'the classic' and you have the original which clearly is now different.

Reactions: dBsooner
Wow. My wall whale had a normal set of bristles instead of the double wide. Maybe I bought 'the classic' and you have the original which clearly is now different.
Mine is the original XL, so maybe that's part of the equation? I hadn't looked at the newer models - appears the fan of bristles is just not a thing anymore!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.