Replacement custom cover options

May 5, 2018
Jerich NY
Hello all,

Family and I purchased a home in Westchester County in NY. Attached is a pic of the Meyco mesh cover which is very much nearing the end of its lifespan. General size is about 27" wide at its widest and about 46" long.

Meyco dealer quoted a replacement price of $5,900.

This seems absolutely effing outrageous. Assuming a pool cover has a warranty of about 10 years, I'm spending $600 annually just for a cover?

Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations for more affordable options for a custom cover option?

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    341.1 KB · Views: 26
That's what Meyco covers go for. I see yours is patched like mine is. My cover is 20 years old and is doing fine year after year with the patches.

Long Island, that price reflects where you live. A replacement should be less than that. As your anchors are already in place, why not shop online and install yourself. Cost on a cover that big would be $1,900-$2900 depending on manufacturer and discounts to pool company. A mesh cover should last longer than that! Why all the repair patches, what’s causing the tears?

AJ, is that a solid or mesh cover? If mesh, it’s not even close to being tight, zero water should be on that cover.

AJ, is that a solid or mesh cover? If mesh, it’s not even close to being tight, zero water should be on that cover.

It is a solid cover. And at the time I took the pic I was fixing the pump. You can see the hose end on the cover.

Thanks for the background - much appreciated. No idea what caused the tears as I inherited the cover with the pool when we closed in May 2019.

I think the best course of action is to (a) hope the cover makes it through the season, which it should, (b) after opening next year, see how good of a job the cover did based on how the pool actually looks, (c) measure the cover spread out in the driveway, and (d) price out a new cover from INYO.

For a cover that's getting older, it's equally about safety and pool cleanliness. The pool will be as clean as your situation allows. Meaning, is the water temperature low enough when closing (below 60), adequate FC, opened before rising above 60, etc. The cover, absent holes big enough for volumes of debris to enter, will likely suffice for cleanliness of the pool. Though I'm sure some debris enters around the waterfall and even under the flat edges. But some debris isn't an issue. It vacuums right up.

The larger concern would be for the safety of children, non-swimming adults and pets. Older covers that are too compromised and brittle can tear with a good heal or running paws to the cover. If it's strong enough and not an issue yet, it's more about appearance.

The cover will serve tho pool ok from a point of debris, as far as safety only you can say if it looks to brittle to sustain something walking across. My question is if you have a safety concern now, what are your safety measures in the swim season. The fence in the picture isn't adequate. If you up the perimeter safety around the pool then the cover only needs to function as a debris filter and can last quite a few more years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.