Replaced filter sand and new VS pump, now have to backwash weekly

spidey07

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
It's a hayward sand filter. I never had trouble with filtration but when having pool company redo plumbing and adding new VS pump I said go ahead and replace the sand since you have to remove it anyway to do the work. Sand was maybe 7 years old, pool repair guy that I trust said 5 years is about how long it lasts.

Now I'm having to backwash every two weeks at a minimum as flow is greatly reduced until I do. I don't have a good baseline yet on filter pressure to go by that given the variable speed.

My question is it the new sand or the VS pump that is causing filter to fill up so quickly? We've had a ton of pollen the last few weeks so maybe its a combination of particulate load, new sand AND pump.

I can tell you that my skimmer socks fill up pretty quickly these days with pollen. So I’m sure it at decent load to a sand filter.

Ironically, the pool guy you trust is wrong on sand. It doesn’t go bad unless you gunk it up with flocculants or some other goopy pool potions. You may also be getting more flow through it with your VSP than before adding to the increase in debris entering the filter. We’ll we what others have to say.

If something is clogging the filter, I can't see how it could be the pump or the filter.. :scratch:

Let's face it.. If you ran pure water through the filter, do you think it would clog up and restrict the flow???

To me, that means whatever you are putting in the filter is the problem.. You have algae, or you have something else in the water, that is clogging the filter.

I can't see how this could possible be a mechanical issue...

What are your latest test results..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Is your water crystal clear with no signs of algae anywhere on the walls?

CYA 50 - yeah, I use pucks and know the danger of doing so.

Using pucks is fine as long as you are testing and paying attention to your chemical levels.

Problems come in when people just blindly throw stuff in their pools and "hope" it work, vs. knowing what you are putting your pool, and knowing what works, and want does not..

Jim R.

Is your water crystal clear with no signs of algae anywhere on the walls?

But of course. Tis the TFP way. It's early in the season and we're not using it as much as normal. I told folks to stir the water around!

On reflection I've got way more pollen, a new pump, new sand and I don't have a baseline of filter pressure. But filter is doing it's job.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Sometimes you just gotta think it through by typing it out. Your baseline was right after turning on the new pump with new sand in the filter. Or after a backwash.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.