Replaced a Pentair IC40 and Barely Getting any Chlorine

May 10, 2016
Sacramento, CA
I have a smaller pool (15-16k gal) with an Easy Touch system using a IC40 Salt Chlorine Generator Cell that failed after 4-5 years. I was told I could just order another and (after making sure the power was off to the system) replace the unit, which I have done. With the old unit, I ran it at 65% to get all the chlorine I needed, but with this new unit, I've been running it at 100% for over a week and I am barely getting any chlorine generated (salt is 3300ppm). Water temp is 79f, CYA is about 80ppm, Ph is 7.4 (it usually runs much higher around 7.8 but its 7.4 now), checking the chlorine after running the pump for 7 hours overnight is only .5-1.0. I do see the little bubbles that I expect to be genereated when the swg is working and was surprised to find the chlorine readings so low. Is there something I need to do to calibrate or initialize the new salt cell? I see nothing in the instructions, but they deal with a new install and not replacing a unit that has failed. Am I missing something or is the unit defective? I hope I remembered to post the needed info. Thank you for your time.

Jeff Maurer
Penryn, CA

Jeff,

The cell either works or it does not... I suspect that you have algae, even if you can't see it yet. Your CYA could also be very low.

As Marty point out.. You need to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. With the cell off...

Add enough liquid chlorine to get your FC to 5 to 10 ppm before doing the OCLT.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: mknauss
+3.

How are you testing ?
What failed on the old unit ?

Having one set SWG runtime is suspicious. The UV demand fluctuates throughout the season similar to a bell curve. Most need several adjustments to match the seasonal changes.

I think I see a OCLT in my future.

As to what failed...it just quit producing chlorine. It was 4-5 years old but I did acid clean it every so often. Suddenly it just stopped producing any chlorine in August (no more little bubbles either). At that point I cleaned it again and started using liquid chlorine. Tested it several times after that (I was shocked when I saw the current prices on them) trying to get it to work again. Finally gave up and bought a new one. BTW: I did and do adjust the amounts that it ran depending on the chlorine level in the pool on any particular week. 65% was about the average setting. Some times it was 60% and during the middle of summer it could be as high as 75%, but I originally bought a bigger unit so I could change the ratio and (hopefully) have it last longer (but it didn't).

no more little bubbles either
OK phew. I was worried you had the algae/cya problem previously and wasted a working cell.
I did and do adjust the amounts that it ran depending on the chlorine level in the pool on any particular week
Phew again !!! Just being thorough on your behalf. :)

5 years is pretty average lifespan. If you manage the water chemistry to not acid clean, might get another year or two.
What lights were showing on the cell when it failed?

Standard lights...nothing different. I don't remember what the usage lights said but it wasn't to 80% yet because there were no blinking lights. Just stopped producing chlorine so I acid cleaned it and it made some bubbles for a day then nothing. Nothing after than made any difference. I still have it so I can always swap it back if it were to start doing its magic again.

Rarely is the cell bad if the Cell light is green.

You would be surprised the number of people come on the forum that say their SWCG has failed, and they have algae.

Reactions: Newdude
The check cell light usually comes on when they reach end of life. (Mine was at 6k hours due to unnecessary acid baths per Pentairs and PBs recommendation)

That light is how I landed at TFP. For 6.5 years the pool maintained itself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jeff,

If you want to do a quick test, set the cell for 50% output. Monitor the 'Cell" light for about 10 minutes... At 50% the cell light should be on for about 2.5 minutes and off for about 2.5 minutes, etc...

If the cell passes that test, then most likely, the cell is working like it should.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.