Replace pump motor?

May 11, 2018
New Hampshire
Hi,
We have a Hayward WSP3215EE pool pump for our pool (25K). If we want to replace the motor, what motor do you suggest to use and where to get it? Our pump stopped working (humming but not turning) and we are going to try and manually turn the impeller too see if that helps. If not, perhaps a new motor is our best bet. The motor is 6 years old. Perhaps it is best to replace the motor anyway considering its age. We just don't know what to get and where to get it. Thanks!

I replaced my Hayward super pump II single speed motor with a 2.7 VS motor from InyoPools last fall. Found these folks very helpful with proper replacement compatibilities, seal kits etc. plenty of DIY videos also. You may want to check they out.

Thanks! Yes, a VS motor would be great. Unfortunately our control panel stopped working early this season so we are going old-school with a basic timer as prices were just crazy to replace what we had (>$5K!). And we never really used those features much anyway. So the motor is going to have to be single-speed again until we get a new control system down the road.

So, if we decide to go VS... We currently have a single-speed pump that is rated at 1.5 HP and 2.4 THP (that just quit working). As mentioned, it seems to be a bit too strong for our system so having a variable speed indeed makes sense for us in many ways. The question is, what size VS to get? The models we are looking at come in 1.5, 2.0, and 3.0 THP. What would your recommendations be? Thanks!

Last edited:
The magic of electric motors is that it's cheaper to run a bigger pump slower than a small pump faster. With a VS, it doesn't hurt to oversize your pump because you can dial the speed down and it will run more efficiently for the same water flow as a smaller pump. Then again, the larger pump is generally more expensive. Therefore, if a bigger pump fits the space and doesn't cost more than $150-200 more, I'd lean toward the bigger pump.

Reactions: Seakayaker
The magic of electric motors is that it's cheaper to run a bigger pump slower than a small pump faster. With a VS, it doesn't hurt to oversize your pump because you can dial the speed down and it will run more efficiently for the same water flow as a smaller pump. Then again, the larger pump is generally more expensive. Therefore, if a bigger pump fits the space and doesn't cost more than $150-200 more, I'd lean toward the bigger pump.
Great! Thank you. Just want I wanted to know. Makes sense to go bigger when it comes to VS then if the price difference fits in the budget.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.