Replace Multi-port Valve when replacing DE filter? Being Scammed?

Jul 13, 2018
New Egypt
Hello,
I need to replace my old Pentair Nautilus DE INS 48 filter because the tank was damaged, and I was told by a local pool business that the model is no longer in circulation, so I'm replacing it with another one they recommended, the [FONT=open_sansregular]Jandy DEV48 Series DE 48 sq. ft. In Ground Pool Filter[/FONT]. The company originally quoted be for about $1,000 dollars for the filter, plus around three hundred for installation. Now, they are telling me I also need to replace my working multi-valve port because the new filter won't be compatible with it, which is adding another $300 to the cost. Does a multi-valve port need to be replaced when replacing a pool filter? The company has been a bit difficult to deal with, which makes me suspicious that I might be getting hosed. When I look online, it looks like multi-port valves can be purchased for around $150, and at this point, I don't even know if I really need to replace it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Mixing and matching equipment from manufacturer to manufacturer can be problematic at best. If it is a side mounted valve, it is entirely possible that the old one will not work with the new tank due to differences in the distance between in in/out pipes. If it is a top mounted valve the size of the threads could be different. As with may industries there are no "standard" sizes for almost anything dealing with pools.

It is also impossible to compare online pricing to the pricing of a local dealer who is going to install it. The online price is just that, a price to ship the item to your door - end of story. There is a cost to any business to bring a product thru the doors and sell it to a customer. This "overhead" can be invisible to the average customer.

If you are going to look at internet pricing you also have to be willing/able to DIY the work. That is the only way those prices mean anything.

What the pool industry does not understand is that the internet is changing the industry around them. My favorite story is about my pool light. When I bought the house with the pool along with high CYA my pool light was not working. I could get a new bulb from Amazon for $19, but heck I'm part of that immediate gratification society as much as the next guy. I went down to the local pool store and there was the same bulb, $39. I talked with the manager. I didn't want them to match the price, they have to keep the lights on - just be a little more reasonable. The manager gave me two choices, take it or leave it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.