Replace Hayward SP3400VSP or just replace the drive?

rfender

Mar 21, 2019
Yucaipa, CA
My Hayward SP3400VSP gave me the "drive error pump has stalled" message that seems to be a common and known issue. I did some research on this site and read that it is common for the control module on the drive circuit board to go out. I reached out to Hayward but didn't get any support so I decided to replace the control module. The pump worked again for a few minutes before shutting down and giving me the "drive error, pump has stalled" again. Immediately before shutting down and giving me the error code, the pump sounded like it was struggling to keep the motor running (sounded like it was difficult to turn the motor over or the motor was straining). Someone said it sounds like the capacitors went out on the drive but they are not replaceable. I tested the motor leads and they tested fine. It seems I can order a new drive and get everything up and running. However, there are a lot of posts and negative reviews about the failure rate on this pump. Does anyone know if more recent production of these pumps are still having issues? I originally purchased the pump in 2012 and it went out after a year (again...drive error, pump has stalled) so I had to replace it in 2013. The replacement worked fine until January 2019.

Any suggestions on whether I should replace the drive or is there a more reliable pump I should look at getting? My pool is about 15k gallons and my control panel is the Aqualink RS8. I currently run the pump on a higher RPM (I believe it was around 3000-3150) for 2 hours for cleaning and then 4-6 hours at 1800 RPM to circulate water.

Unfortunately, there have been many complaints on the forum about that pump and has a long history of problem.

@Hayward Pool may be able to help.

But since you have a Jandy controller, you might want to go with a Jandy VS pump.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.