Replace cartridge filter with?

Odyssey

Jun 9, 2021
Austin Texas
We have been in this house for 4 1/2 years. After the first summer, it was recommended (by Leslie's) that I replace the existing DE filter with a Jacuzzi J-CQ420 cartridge filter. I may have made a bad decision based on their advice that it would only need cleaning twice a year, but I now think that advice was purely to sell a cartridge system as it has needed cleaning a lot more often than that, and the cleaning is much more laborious than I expected it to be.

The cartridges are at the end of their life, so I need to consider buying new ones or replacing with a filter that can be backwashed, so I am seeking recommendations for either sand or DE for a 10k pool.

many thanks

O,

The problem is not the filter.. If you have to clean a 420 cartridge filter more than twice a year, then something is wrong...

You have a chemical problem, most likely you have algae, even if you can't see it yet.

My guess is that your CYA is over a 100 and you are trying to run your pool with an FC of 1 or 2 ppm.

Please take a look through our Pool School and see how our TFP pool care process works.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
Jim, many thanks and I will educate myself further on this.

A bit of history may or may not be useful. When we first moved it developed black algae and we got rid of it only after we refinished the pool with a pebble finish (prev. was plaster, but wife wanted a bit of sparkle) and got a fresh start. We get a lot of leaves (Bradford Pear and Cedar Elm constantly and seasonal live oak) so we put a cover over it approx mid Oct to late April.

Because of the abnormally cool May, we only removed the cover early June. We did have a few warm days in May and a small amount of yellow algae developed which with help of a neighbor we got under control

Also we got over 1/3 of our avg annual rainfall in May.

Unsure if this affects anything that might aggravate the need for cleaning, especially since it is a constant need, but just trying to add info that MIGHT be applicable to what might be happening in the pool.

O,

I live in Bedford, which is near the DFW airport, so I completely understand about the weird weather we have been having.. :( None of my three pools got any algae this year, or any other year for that matter.. Weather is not why pools get algae, leaves are not why pools get algae, pool owners are why pools get algae.. :mrgreen:

I fully agree that a cartridge filter is too much work if you plan to get algae a few times a year.. You can either go back to a filter you can backwash, or just change the way maintain your pool.

In total my pool and my two rent house pools have been running algae free for about 25 years. I never go to the pool store, and never use Floc, PhosFre, or any other "magic" potions that they sell.. I only use Chlorine, Muriatic Acid, and Stabilizer (CYA).. All three pools are saltwater pool, so I do buy a few bags of salt each year, but then the pools make their own chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: avspin and Shirker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.