Repair / replace pool equipment: pumps, SWG, lights

Catharina-H1

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
Our pool is from 2005, Jandy Pool Controll (hardwired into the kitchen and spa-side) + other equipment is also Jandy. Over the years we had to replace already the heater, the DE filter, a pump motor, halogen light bulbs.... and several times the SWG AquaPur 1400. This salt-cell (incl some of the parts) works max for 3 years; mostly less. This year I like to get a fresh start and repair / replace all problematic equipment in one time.

I would appreciate your feedback: should I stay with Jandy? Or switch to Pentair? or to Hayward? Or can I mix-and-match???

1) The AquaPur 1400 is for 40.000 gallon and I think that our pool is probably just over 40.000 gallon; probably would need a larger salt cell OR no SWG at all.

2) The pool pumps are all one-speed Jandy stealth pumps; 3 pump MOTORS are broken or about to break (noisy). Last year I switched the slide motor into the main pool slot to keep the pool going for a few more weeks till the end of the season. I like the large pump baskets.

3) I like the Jandy Pool Controll. But If I have to switch this out, I will look into the technical possibilities. I think it might be best to stay as much as possible with the same brand.

4) The pool + spa lights are the original Jandy color changing lights; we keep replacing these halogen bulbs. Is there a LED bulb that we can use?

I would appreciate your feedback, guidance ! Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

How much do you want to spend? If money is not an issue then switching brands and options are plentiful. All three make nice stuff but that said they all have issues from time to time. No one makes pool equipment that will last forever. Switching brands will not solve having issues with the equipment if that's what you are getting at, it's part of owning a pool if you're asking me.

That said:

Upgrading the pumps to variable speed would be a wise investment. Figure out if you need all three or can integrate the plumbing so you can eliminate a pump or two. I would base which brand to use from this starting point and most consider the Intelliflos to be the best VS pumps.

Getting three years of use out of a Jandy cell is great in my opinion with a pool that is as large as yours. With a pool that size you have to spend the money for chlorine and I would say you are getting your monies worth. If you do switch brands get one rated for 60,000 gallons and integrate it with the automation. You can also install two 40,000 gallon SWG's so they last longer. They will have to work only have as much and that should extend the life of them.

No one makes a reliable LED light.

Thank you
I would like to replace or repair equipment in such a manner that the setup will be the least problematic = reliability and user friendly are important. Pricing seems to be similar - which brand has the best performance and warranty?

Is it Pentair that you are suggesting for the 60.000 gallon SWG plus the VS pumps? Is it then recommended to switch the pool controls + lights as well to Pentair ( all from 2005)?

SWG or “automated tablets feeder”?
I think only Pentair has a 60.000 gallon SWG? there a commercial-pool SWG that I could consider?
I noticed a Pentair “ tablets feeder” system = what is the experience - is that a good solution?

Pool pumps:
* Great idea: I will look into replumbing and thus use 1 pump less.
* main pool pump: i will use a variable speed pump. Which brand is the most reliable, easy to operate, maintain, good warranty? Currently i have all Jandy equipment and pool controls. But i would consider switching to another brand if that is recommended.
* what do you think of only switching out the motor for the slide pump instead of replacing the total pump?

3. Pool control
We currently have Jandy pool controls, hard wired, in the kitchen and spa-side. Old (2005 with firmware update) but still functional. I would need an upgrade in order to be able to use an App on my phone. That upgrade is not cheap- should i replace the pool controls instead

Pool lights:
You mention that there are no reliable LED pool lights. What should I do: should i replace all halogen bulbs instead of replacing the lights itself? The last 3 years we have mid-season always run into the problem of 1 or 2 broken lights. That consideration plus that i assumed that LED lights might use less electricity and have a long lifetime made me consider replacing the lights itself.
Thank you for advice in this

Tablet feeders are not favored by the more experienced pool owners on this forum. The produce an accumulation of cyanuric acid over time which reduces the efficiency of the chlorine in your pool. They are fine for temporary use (eg when you go on vacation) when used with ongoing liquid bleach chlorination.

Or, a SWG covers all bases.

:)

The IC60 can handle that pool. As far as pumps I think you can definitely eliminate something. Tell me how many you have and what they do. With a VS pump like an intelliflo a simple addition of a valve and eliminating that pump will supply water to a slide. I'm a Hayward guy but pentair is good stuff. Jandy doeant impress me they haven't kept up the past few years

I would run a SWG but being in NJ you might be able get away with tabs, but the SWG is so much easier to deal with. It just an upfront cost but well worth it in my opinion. Do yourself a favor and read as many articles in Pool School as you can. Start with the ABC's of water chemistry if you haven't already seen it.

From the time I've been on this forum it seems to me that the Pentair Intelliflos are the favored VS pumps. You can't just switch the motor to get a VS pump, and if you're making the switch do it right this time around.

Pentair also makes very good automation controls and I would look into which one would fit best into what you want. The IC 60 SWG will work fine but it should be run with their automation controls. If you are going to make a brand switch make sure you get more feedback from users as to which automation system would be best for your pool.

How often do you use the pool lights? Are they on a schedule to run every day? If so, then you should expect to have to change the bulb every now and then. If not, then I'm not sure what is wrong with your lights. I've haven't needed to change a single bulb in my pool yet, it is 10 years old now. LED's will use less electricity but their life span is not what is stated and there isn't a cheap bulb replacement for them.

Thank you all. So NO tablet feeder - expected that reply kind of :) I like the ease of use of a FUNCTIONING SWG. After years of constant pool equipment trouble, I really like to get the pool to be an enjoyable feature again instead of a time-consuming, malfunctioning headache.

First decision: what brand should I use? stick with Jandy or switch to Pentair or to Hayward?

current setup: one Jandy AquaPur 1400 - broken: makes no chlorine; last season we used tablets and chemicals; husband is a biochemist. I prefer the feel of the salt water pool and the ease of managing the chemicals, if done right...

I will install a new SWG - even switch out the control unit for the AquaPur should I stay with Jandy.
DECISION to make:
a) two Jandy SWG's because the pool is a bit above 40.000 gallon.
b) Or should I switch to Pentair instead: they carry the 60.000 gallon SWG?
c) or is there somewhere a commercial unit I can consider ?

current setup: we have 5 JANDY Stealth pumps + a blower
pump 1 = main pool pump that also switches to serve the spa (when we switch to "SPA MODE") and gives suction for a pool "vacuum" for cleaning
pump 2 = 8-9 ft high slide
pump 3 = waterfall large motor
pump 4 = waterfall small motor
pump 5 = spa jets
blower for spa is just for "air bubbles" into spa

a) I will install a variable speed pump for the main pool. QUESTION: which band? right now all our equipment is Jandy, incl the pool controls.
b) I can combine the two waterfall pumps into one; they served the purpose of LOTS of water(2pumps together), medium (large pump) or minimum waterfall (small pump). To be honest: we never really appreciated this; it is more waterfall ON or OFF!
c) can I replace only the MOTOR for the 2 other pumps instead of buying complete new pumps.

Pool control: Jandy, Pentair or Hayward??
We currently have Jandy pool controls, hard wired, in the kitchen and spa-side. Old (2005 with firmware update) but still functional. I would need an upgrade in order to be able to use an App on my phone. That upgrade is not cheap- should i replace the pool controls completely - even when I stick with Jandy?

Pool and spa lights
We currently have 2005 Jandy color changing halogen lights. They functioned very well for many years, until approx. 3 years ago. Then it started: constantly a light went out. We replaced the bulb etc.... At the end last season, the spa light went out; a bit dangerous - difficult to get in and out the spa. And to answer a previous question: No, we do not have the pool lights on a daily schedule. What shall I do with these lights?
a) switch out all bulbs in all lights and buy new seals etc
b) buy new lights and find a solution to fit these in the current cavity in the pool wall.

Is it advisable to have all equipment from the same brand? Or are they interchangeable: can I Use the Jandy controls (that we like) with the Pentair 60.000 gallon SWG and the Pentair VS pumps and which lights????

Thank you so much!!!
Catharina

pool equipment.jpg

Some information here about how to handle large pools with a SWG...

For the most trouble free setup stay with one manufacturer for automation control, pumps, SWG, and lights. You can mix and match some but you add to your complexity which is not what you want.

Thank you - curently I have Jandy equipment. Should I stay with that or switch to Pentair (which has the SWG 60.000 gallon)
Does anyone have experience with NEWER Jandy equipment? I hear mixed messages regarding the Jandy VS pumps? Our Jandy equipment is old - lid difficult to open, otherwise no issues.

Around here we like Pentair equipment beter then Jandy. Especially since Jandy took all their products off the Internet and do not provide warranty on DIY installs. Pool Builders like to install Jandy equipment more then Pentair.

I am in the process of converting my old Jandy Aqualink system to Pentair IntelliCenter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I only did the comparison on paper. Right now the IntelliCenter panel is sitting in my garage. I have a 20 year old Aqualink that cannot control VS pumps or have any wireless controls. For the cost of updating the Aqualink system I could install the IntelliCenter.

I have been lucky and never needed Pentair support. This month I installed my third cell in 16 years. The one I removed had a 2012 date label on it.

That is really great: you needed only 3 cells in 16 years for the Pentair IC60 or IC40?
I needed since 2005 at min. 6 new cells and partial replacements of this Jandy AquaPur. Possibly caused by the pact that our pool is larger than 40.000; the Jandy AquaPur 1400 is rated for 40.000 gallon pools. When we got the pool We had no idea..

That is really great: you needed only 3 cells in 16 years for the Pentair IC60 or IC40?
I needed since 2005 at min. 6 new cells and partial replacements of this Jandy AquaPur. Possibly caused by the pact that our pool is larger than 40.000; the Jandy AquaPur 1400 is rated for 40.000 gallon pools. When we got the pool We had no idea..

Two IC40's in a 35K pool and now an IC60.

I would have expected you to go through 4 cells in that time. 6 is not great but not crazy bad.

Oh yes our Jandy Aqualink System would also need to be upgraded to wireless. Can the Pentair Pool Controll also be used with a Jandy Laars Heater, Jandy halogen color changing lights?

Jandy Laars Heater - yes.

Jandy halogen color changing lights- it can turn it on and off. I don't know about the color control. I think that light rotates colored lenses in front of the bulb.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.